Guess who is the key influencer when it comes to the choice of a family holiday? If the first word that crossed your mind is parents you are wrong!
According to Thomas Cook research, Generation Z – people born from 2000 onwards – are the key influencers when it comes to family holiday destinations and activities.
Here are some key facts from the survey conducted among 2,000 respondents:
- 74% of parents say that ‘all‘ or ‘some‘ of the holiday they choose is influenced by their children.
- About 1 in 4 of parents say that their holiday is completely centred on their kids’ needs
- 49% of parents give their children equal weighting when it comes to holidays
- 1 in 5 children has booked a holiday themselves and a further 18% have helped book one
- A mere of 16% of parents feeling ‘selfish’ about breaks by booking the holidays they want and making their children fit around those plans
- Just 5% of parents prefer to go away without the kids
According to Dr Paul Redmond, who worked on the research with Thomas Cook, children are having a greater influence on holiday bookings due to their ‘confidence in travel and digital expertise‘,
Source: Thomas Cook Research (as published in Travel Mole, October 2014)