The Acropolis and Athens City Centre Family Tour is a balanced combination between the best of modern Athens, namely its centre – and the best of ancient Athens, the Acropolis of course! Get ready to discover what Athens has to offer in the most kid friendly way.
Quick facts about this the Acropolis and Athens City Centre Family Tour
Together with the guide you will visit the Greek House of Parliament, the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier, the National Gardens and Zappeion and, last but not least, the Acropolis.
We guarantee that your kids will not be bored for a second! Through the narrative technique of the guide they will feel the ancient statues and ruins of the Acropolis come to life while they travel back in time, feeling like an Athenian youth living in The Golden Era of Pericles.
The Acropolis and Athens City Centre Family Tour – step by step
The meeting point is inside the Syntagma Metro Station next to the ticket validating machines, underneath the hanging clock. You’ll first pay a quick visit of 10-15 minutes to the Metro Museum. Yes, Athens is full of ruins and there are also museums everywhere, even at the Metro! The museum in fact has very interesting archaeological artifacts from the daily life of ancient Athenians.
Next stop, just across the road, is the Greek House of the Parliament. The Tomb of the Unknown Soldier is just outside the building and pays tribute to all the brave soldiers lost during the war. The guards, known as ‘Tsoliades’, are members of the Presidential Guard and wear traditional costumes. Kids are bound to ask why the guards are dressed as they are, and the answer is very simple – they wear exactly what the Greek rebels wore during the uprisings against the Turks.
Your tour continues towards the National Gardens and on to the beautiful neoclassical Zappeion Hall. This was the first ever building used for the Olympic Games. The statues in its garden, such as the woodworker and the little harvester, are really impressive. Your little fellows will love this little oasis that is hidden in the centre of Athens.
Through the beautiful pedestrian walk way of Dionyssiou Areopagitou you will come to the Acropolis, the epitome of western civilization and the birthplace of democracy. The guide may take you to the entrance by the south slope in order to skip the crowds and visit the Dionysus Sanctuary and Dionysus Theatre, built in the 5th century BC. The guide will purchase the tickets, so no need to queue here.
A hidden gem of this tour
Both goddess Athina and Poseidon claimed the protection of this city, each offering unique gifts. The citizens chose Athina, and hence the name Athens. But shhhhh … our guide is coming and he won’t be happy with me for spoiling his story which he will tell you all about it during the tour.
To find out more just press the booking button and enjoy the tour :)
Families should know
- These group tours are offered daily at the English language
- Upon request there is possibility for a Private Family Guided Tour to Acropolis and a Private Family Guided Tour to the Acropolis Museum
- Athens can be hot, especially during summer months. Make sure you bring some sun lotion as well as suitable footwear for both you and your little fellows
- Most of the time throughout the tour will be spent in the shade but please bring hats and sun cream because at times you will be exposed to the sun
- Though there are plenty of kiosks in Syntagma it would be advisable to supply yourselves with water, juices and snacks, just to be on the safe side
- Please bear in mind that strollers are not allowed in the Acropolis
Kids will love
- The adventure of climbing up the Acropolis Hill
- Learning about Greece’s rich mythology
- The changing of the ‘Tsoliades’ at the Parliament
Parents will love
- The breathtaking view from the Acropolis
- The Parliament building and the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier
Best season to visit
- 39€ adults
- 33€ teenager-student
- 19€ child (6-11 years old)
- Free infant (0-5 years old)
- Ticket entrance for Acropolis is not included
Share on Social Media