Botanical Park & Gardens of Crete
Just 18km from the city of Chania, this unusual park is the perfect stop for a relaxing break. It hosts thousands of fruit trees, herbs and spices, medicinal and ornamental plants.
The passion of the family that owns the park is obvious in every detail. The climate of the area also contributes to the creation of this small oasis.
The main signposted walk lasts approximately two hours, while there is a short cut for the less fit. Do not hurry your way through, the slower the tour the more you will enjoy the park.
Your kids will love the pond at the far end of the park where a lot of aquatic animals live. Do not forget to pay a visit to the restaurant which offers authentic Cretan flavours. The ingredients used for the dishes are fresh and pure – taken directly from the garden – while pricing is reasonable.
Families should know
- It is advisable that you do not visit the park at noon, especially during the hot summer days. The best time to visit the park is either early in the morning or late in the afternoon
- Wear comfy shoes for trekking
- If you have a baby in a buggy, you will not be able to do the trekking as the paths are not accessible for buggies
- In certain places, the path is a bit steep and you need to be careful with your children
- You should supply yourselves with hats and sun cream for your children. If you have your own car, you should also visit the nearby areas and discover wild Cretan nature
- The foothills of Lefka Ori offer unique scenery at any time of the year – the road, however, is narrow with a lot of turns. It is recommended that you drive carefully
Best season to visit
Get inspired by our top ideas for vacation in Greece. Discover our blog full of ideas, insights about Greek destinations, reviews for kid friendly activities, hotels, beaches, museums and so much more!