All the colors and flavors of the Cretan cuisine unfold at this Cretan Cuisine Cooking Class. The warm welcoming of Eleni and Yiannis, the hosts of the place, will make you feel at home and generously offer you an original taste of the infamous Cretan hospitality and Cretan cuisine. Through various, delicious recipes based on well-hidden secrets and old traditions, you will discover the rich, Cretan culture.
Every single moment of this culinary activity is a unique experience for all family members. Eleni is extremely friendly with children and immediately gains their trust. She puts their aprons on, pulls up their sleeves, and lets them cook with no worries of getting messy. Younger visitors then start kneading, so as to prepare traditional myzithropitakia (sweet cheese pies) or pizza with their favorite ingredients. Preparing traditional skioufichta (a type of handmade pasta) is especially fascinating.
Vegetables used are fresh and tasty as they are picked up the same morning from Yiannis and Elenis’ garden. All ingredients used are chosen carefully for the highest quality and are sourced locally.
The menu is variable enough to cover every taste. It includes dolmadakia (stuffed vine leaves), zucchini balls, rooster cooked in wine, gruel with snails or sea food, beetroot salad with stamnagathi (a Cretan wild grass), feta cheese, and honey pie—the Cretan cheesecake based on honey, myzithra (traditional Cretan cheese) and fresh fruit juices—with walnut and rosemary.
The table is set as soon as all dishes are ready. This is definitely the best reward for all participants. Even the fussiest child is tempted to try such a true, homemade meal. Suddenly, everyone around the table feels at home!
Eleni and Yiannis’ hospitality coupled with professionalism makes this Cooking lesson in Crete such an authentic experience for the whole family. As they tend to say, they see themselves as “ambassadors of the Cretan culture and gastronomy.” And if you ask us, we could not agree more!
Families should know
- Participants are able to choose the menu prior to their visit based on personal preferences and dietary restrictions
- Availability of ingredients is based on seasonality
- Both independent visitors and groups are able to participate
- The days and time schedule of the activity are set upon discussion
Kids will love
- All the tasty delicacies created by their own hands
- Eleni’s and Yiannis’ advice on a healthy diet based on Cretan cuisine
Parents will love
- The secrets behind the mouth-watering recipes of Cretan cuisine
- The warm atmosphere and the hospitality
Best season to visit
- The price for a two-hour visit with a group ranges from 25€ for adults and 10€ for children
- The price for a private tour is set based on each specific request and occasion
Share on Social Media