Cruise in Gramvousa and Balos by big boat
Both Gramvousa – also known as the island of pirates – as well as the lagoon of Balos are two places that are definitely worth a visit if you are in the western part of Crete. You’ll be overwhelmed by the wild natural beauty, the exotic scenery and crystal clear water.
There are several ways you can visit Balos Gramvousa. You can either take a big boat or rent a private boat for a Family Sailing trip to Balos or drive and then hike.Check availability
If you are interested in going to Balos-Gramvousa by a big boat, bear in mind that the cruise ship (big boat) departs from the port in Kissamos and after an hour, it arrives at the small island of Gramvousa for a stop of about 2 hours.
There you can swim at the small beach or hike up the donkey track to the remains of the 16th-century Venetian castle from where there are stunning views. The walk takes you to a height of 137mts and good footwear is recommended. If you want to take it easy you can stay on board and enjoy a picnic lunch or purchase food from the restaurant.
The next stop is the lagoon of Balos, a 15 minutes sail from Gramvousa, where expectations will be exceeded when you see the Mediterranean in its full splendor with pink sand and calm water with so many different shades of blue and green.
Families should know
- The ship departs daily from the port of Kissamos which is a drive of about 40 minutes west of Chania city
- Disembarkation at Balos is done with smaller boats
- If you want to walk up to the castle don’t wear sandals or flip-flops
- Don’t forget to take a hat and sun screen for everyone
- The ship may be fairly crowded but fortunately there is enough space for everyone at the lagoon
- If you book through the website gramvousa.com you will get a better ticket price
- During the cruise there is an audio tour in several languages
- You can buy food and drink on the boat
Best season to visit
Get inspired by our top ideas for vacation in Greece. Discover our blog full of ideas, insights about Greek destinations, reviews for kid friendly activities, hotels, beaches, museums and so much more!