Discover a hidden natural paradise via joining our Family Day Cruise to Dia!
Dia is an uninhabited islet exactly opposite the city of Heraklion. Being only 7 nautical miles away it is a favourite stop for local rib boats. The islet is a small paradise for anyone seeking absolute relaxation. The sea is wonderful and the seabed offers lots for snorkelers.
All this might seem a distant dream to many of you, but believe us it isn’t! Our collaborator offers families visiting Heraklion the opportunity to join him on this magical boat. Everyone is welcome aboard and the boat sails from the city port.
It is about an hour’s sail from the port to the islet’s inlet of St. George, and once you get there you’ll have about 2 hours to relax and spend an unforgettable time with your family.
On board you have free use of snorkeling and fishing equipment. To discover something new you might want to follow the cedar tree paths where, if you are lucky, you might get to meet the wild kri-kris, the feral goats that are now only found on Crete.
Before you visit Dia you must read about the legend behind its creation – just click here to read the fascinating story! Remember to tell your children that while searching for the lost Atlantis between Crete and Santorini, the famous oceanographer, Jacques Yves Cousteau, discovered ancient shipwrecks as well as the Cyclopean Walls on the sea bed around Dia. He also concluded that Dia was probably the biggest and most important port during the Minoan era.
Families should know
- During June trips to Dia are scheduled for Monday and Thursday, departing at 09.30 and returning at 14.00. During July and August there will be additional afternoon trips departing every day at 15.00 and returning at 19.30
- The starting point is at the Marina Café at the Venetian harbour of Heraklion
- Price per person includes unlimited consumption of water and beverages, full menu (greek salad, vegeterian risotto, chicken fillets, fruits and wine), fishing rods, snorkeling equipment as well as transfer from and to your hotel
- The boat is also available for private hire for short trips around Heraklion. Maximum capacity is 8 adults. Private sailing trips are offered at really competitive rates
Kids will love
- Jumping from the deck into the wonderful sea
- The mythology behind Dia’s creation
Parents will love
- The view from the small church of Analipsis
- The wild and untouched nature
Best season to visit
- Price person:70€
- Free admission on board for children below 4 years old
Share on Social Media