During Rethymno Gourmet Family Food Tour you will be introduced to the Cretan cuisine, one of the healthiest diets in the world!
This kid-friendly tour will start with a stroll through the oldest neighbourhoods in Rethymnon, while sharing with you our passion for local food and traditions. The tour will be kicked off with a much needed freshly brewed Greek coffee (for the adults) made the traditional way… on sand!
During our stroll in Rethymnon’s narrow alleys in the heart of the old city, you’ll get to savour the famous kalitsounia (pastry pied filled with cheese, spinache, fennel or local greens), one of the most classic and delicious Cretan appetizers. One of our favorite parts is that we will visit a 100-year-old bakery, a local favorite!
Our walk will include a visit a local sweets shop, which creates sweet delights using only local, organic products. How about some baklava with ice cream made from sheep’s milk from a local farm? Trust us, you don’t know how tasty ice cream can be until you’ve tried some with us!
Next up on this Rethymnon tour, we’re going to sample some locally meze. But instead of heading to a tavern, we’re going to snack in a local art venue where you can chat with the artist and find out how Crete never fails to inspire artistic hearts.
Last but not least, the parents will try a signature cocktail made just for you, starring our liquid royalty, raki. Also known as tsikoudia, raki is an alcoholic beverage — a fragrant, grape-based pomace brandy of Crete.
Families should know
- The duration is 4 hours
- The meeting point is at the Square of the Four Martyrs in the centre of modern Rethymnon and the ending point is Venetian Harbour of Rethymnon
- This activity is suggested during afternoons and can be only arranged on private basis for families
- What is included: Local English-speaking guide, food and beverage samples as indicated in the itinerary (coffee, pastries, traditional sweets, locally produced ice cream, locally brewed beer, and meze platter). The inclusions are more than enough that you can skip dinner!
- What is excluded: Additional food and drinks, items of a personal nature, tips/gratuities for your local guide
- Please wear comfortable walking shoes (no flip-flops!). The dress code for the venues is smart-casual. No beachwear allowed
- This tour can be customized to cater for dietary or vegeterian needs at your request. In case of food allergies or restrictions, please let us know prior to the tour
Kids will love
- The icecream! Kids will be indulged into homemade organic ice cream from a local farmer
- Seeing Greek coffee being brewed the traditional way on sand
Parents will love
- Learning how Crete’s culinary traditions have led to one of the healthiest diets in the world
- Experiencing real Cretan food, from classic kalitsounia to freshly baked baklava
Best season to visit
Share on Social Media