This Greek cooking family workshop is an unforgettable culinary experience, full of Greek flavors and scents.
The workshop starts with a visit to the famous central market of Athens, known as ‘Varvakeios’. The whole family will be fascinated by the market’s vibrant atmosphere and exceptional energy. Juicy fresh fruits and vegetables, cultivated in the fertile Greek land, spices, meat, poultry and fresh fish from the Aegean Sea, fill the air with peculiar aromas and bright colors. Your experienced food instructor will help you select all the ingredients you will need so as to prepare a tasty Greek lunch. Socializing with the local vendors and discovering the meaning of the Greek bargaining ‘temperament’ is one of the highlights of this culinary experience.
Once you are done with the ingredients shopping, you will head to the kitchen of a traditional Greek restaurant located in the heart of Athens. At a specially designed private space, a Greek chef will welcome you with a shot of raki (a traditional alcoholic drink from Crete island) and show you what Greek hospitality really feels like.
After the refreshing raki shot, it’s time to pull up your sleeves and transform yourselves into Greek chefs! During this culinary trip you and your kids will have the opportunity to create your own authentic Greek salad, various traditional appetizers such as tzatziki and cheese pie and of course a traditional main course.
A bunch of Greek delicacies are now waiting to be tasted! Enjoying this traditional meal, created from scratch is really rewarding, especially for your little chefs. Sit with your family and friends around the table and savor the ‘fruits of your efforts’ accompanied by a glass of home made wine.
You will be given all recipes you have prepared as a keepsake of this unforgettable Greek cooking family workshop.
Please note that we also suggest further amazing culinary experiences for families, such as our Private Food Tour and our Greek Breakfast under the Acropolis, which is ideal for Greek Food lovers who are also keen on mythology.
Families should know
- This Greek cooking family workshop is a complete culinary experience and not just a simple cooking lesson
- It takes place every Thursday, at a beautiful, private venue in Athens’ downtown
- The workshop starts at 10:30am at Monastiraki Square. Duration: 5 hours
- Parents and kids should wear casual clothes… be prepared to get your hands dirty!
- You will be accompanied by an English speaking local food expert who will introduce you to the impressive variety of Greek fresh produce
- You will team up with a trained chef who will help you unveil the secrets of the traditional Greek cuisine
- Group size: up to 10 participants (minimum 4 participants). Small group size ensures more relaxed and intimate experience
- This is a group activity but private options for families are also available upon request
Kids will love
- Trying to find the freshest ingredients to buy at the Varvakeios market
- Experimenting with various traditional Greek ingredients, spices and flavors
- Preparing their own traditional Greek salad and tzatziki
- Savoring their own culinary masterpieces
Parents will love
- Discovering the gastronomical tradition of Greece
- Uncovering new cooking techniques and flavor combinations
- The energy and unique ‘temperament’ of the local vendors in the central market
- Enjoying a delicious traditional Greek meal with their kids
Best season to visit
87€ per adult 59€ for children from 06 till 10 years old
Share on Social Media