Our Heraklion Private Family Archaeological Tours is one of the “must do” excursions in Crete . It includes a family friendly visit to the Palace of Knossos and the Archaeological Museum – the best museum in Crete- and can certainly give to your kids a perfect family day out.
Our specialised in kids guide offers a private family-friendly tour that lasts approximately 4 hours. It is cost-effective and stress-free so that you can sit back and enjoy the delights that Crete has to offer.
During the tour in the famous ancient Palace of Knossos your children will be asked to follow in the footsteps of the powerful beast, Minotaur. The delightful Minoan frescoes of the Palace will undoubtedly amaze both kids and adults.
After exploring the palace grounds, you will move on to enjoy the fun and educational activities in the Archaeological Museum of Heraklion in the city centre and try to solve the mystery of the Phaistos Disc, an ancient day X-file. The museum houses an impressive collection of the best examples of Minoan art and culture.
Before you plan your visit to Knossos, we suggest you have a look at these myths. They might prove fascinating for your kids. Kids Love Knossos is the best way to do it!
Families should know
- Knossos is family-friendly but there are some stairs that may not be suitable for younger families or strollers. Much of the palace is outdoors, so you will need to make sure that you bring sun protection with you.
- The tour is available in a number of languages, including English, Spanish, Italian and German.
- We recommend you buy some water before entering the archaeological site
- Do not forget your hat and sunscreen, especially during the summer months when the sun is quite intense and shade is scarce
- If you visit the area in summer, it would be good to avoid the midday hours (12.00 – 16.00) due to high temperatures
- Avoid the weekends as it can be crowded
- During the summer months there are usually long queues at the ticket counters. We suggest arriving relatively early in the morning
- Unfortunately, for the restoration of the palace, cement has been used in several places.
- Do not expect to see the maze as it is just part of the myth of Knossos
- In some parts of the palace there are stairs, which makes access for strollers a bit challenging
- Eating is not allowed inside the archaeological site