A garden located literally at the heart of Athens with a variety of endemic trees and plants from other continents and a zoo with a strong Greek character. A true retreat away from the noise of the city centre.
The national garden is located just a few metres away from the exit of Syntagma’s metro station. It is irrigated from a canal dated back to the era of tyrant Pisistratos that was used for the transport of water.
One of the most particular spots of the garden is the sun clock at the central entrance of Amalias avenue and the Romaic mosaic floor that is located at Vasilissis Sofias avenue. A beautiful corner is the botanic collection. A stroll at the national garden also has special archaeological interest as there are ancient columns spread all over the place.
Apart from the various activities available for your kids, the Children’s library of the garden is worth a visit. The entrance is free and the kids can read books, listen to classical music and do creative activities like painting or assembling a puzzle.
Families should know
- It would be good to dedicate at least half if not all the day to visit the National Garden
- Supply yourselves with food especially for the kids as there is no canteen in the playground and the café named “Garden” is located a bit further out
- The area where the zoo is located is not that clean and the smell can be intense in certain parts
- The Botanological collection is temporarily closed for conservation
- The Children’s library is open daily from 9:00 to 15:00 apart from Sundays, Mondays and public holidays. In addition fairy-tale narration is only provided in Greek
- The majority of the books in the Children’s library is in Greek and there are only a few foreign books
- There are no staff to survey the kids in the Children’s library, which means that you have to be around, especially if your kids are of a younger age
- There is no café, canteen or special place for parents in the library
- There is no parking therefore we would recommend that you use public transport (like buses or the metro) as it is especially difficult to find a parking space in the centre of Athens
- The toilet at the playground is not functioning
- Rent high quality baby & toddler equipment such as car seats, strollers, baby carriers, trikes through our partner My Baby in Greece for relaxing walks with your baby at zoos, parks or playgrounds in Greece
- There are 1-2 picnic tables in the playground where parents can sit and relax
- There is a “kafeneio” (traditional Greek café that also serves food) that is open daily from 8:00 to sunset (entrance from Irodou Attikou street)
- Areas with shade
- On the first Saturday of every month from October to June, there is fairy-tale narration at the Children’s library from 11:30 to 12:30 (narration only in Greek)
- During festive periods like Christmas, various events take place at the National Garden such as Santa Claus and houses with Christmas delicacies for kids