Parnassos ski resort
Parnassos is the biggest and best organised ski resort in Greece. It is a two and a half hour drive from Athens. The mountain is full of pines and has 19 slopes in both Fterolakas and Kelaria. The slopes are relatively easy and small compared to the Alps but even so you can still have the same fun. There are also two snow fun parks and three mini slopes for beginners.
If you go to Arahova for Christmas this year you will be amongst the first lucky people to experience one of the most modern ski lifts in Europe as the opening day is December 15th, when the ski resort officially opens. You can also enjoy a night ride as the ski resort will be open from 08.00 – 20.00 every Saturday.
We suggest you start your day really early in order to avoid the crowds and be the first ones to cruise the mountain’s morning powder snow. If you want to book a lesson for your little fellows, it would be advisable to book one or two days in advance as it gets quite busy during the Christmas period. You can rent ski equipment either at Arahova, Livadi or at Mount Parnassos. Alternatively, if you don’t fancy skiing or snowboarding you always enjoy a sled ride with the kids.
Mount Parnassos has two chalets, one at Kelaria and one at Fterolaka, with Kelaria being the most popular of the two. Do try a hot chocolate at the Kelaria chalet whilst you enjoy the view from the window – a perfect close to an amazing day out.
If you’re wondering what to do next while you are in the area, have a look at our suggestion of ‘Arahova’ in the ‘Ideas for Excursion’ section.
Families should know
- We advise you to get to Mount Parnassos as early as possible to avoid the morning crowds. If you can’t make it early enough then head there for about 13.00 when it is less busy and you can also get a half day pass
- Arm yourselves with sandwiches, spinach pies, water and anything else suitable for lunch as both chalets are pricey
- The rented equipment may be a bit old compared to the other European ski resorts
- Rent high quality baby & toddler travel gear such as car seats, strollers, baby carriers, trikes, booster seats through our partner My Baby in Greece for stress-free & fun family activities in Greece
Kids will love
- The lifts on the way up to the mountain also called ‘eggs’
- The sled rides
Parents will love
- Mount Parnassos’ morning powder snow
- Enjoying a hot chocolate at the chalet and admire the beautiful scenery from the window
Best season to visit
Get inspired by our top ideas for vacation in Greece. Discover our blog full of ideas, insights about Greek destinations, reviews for kid friendly activities, hotels, beaches, museums and so much more!