Playground at Georgiadis park
The playground within Georgiadis park, is one of the most popular choices for locals who look for some relaxation while their kids are playing.
Furthermore, the specific park is the largest green area – 17 acres in total – within the city of Heraklion, a city unfortunately not that famous for its trees and greenery.
You need to be prepared not to have high expectations. When we talk about a park, you need to forget the parks you are used to in other European cities that are huge and full of green.
However, Georgiadis park has been transformed during the last years into a small urban oasis. The canteen within the park is really popular to local families. Kids can play, run around and bike while parents can enjoy a “green” escape so close to the city centre.
Families should know
- The playground is a bit far from the café. You need to constantly supervise your kids when at the playground, especially if they are toddlers
- During weekends the place gets crowded
- The slide is quite steep for toddlers
- Within the park, there are quite a lot stray dogs
- The public toilets are relatively clean since a lady is responsible for keeping them clean However, tipping is obligatory. Alternatively, you can use the toilets of the café
- There is no changing mat at the public toilets
- No parking. Parking is relatively hard in the area, especially during the morning hours
- Rent high quality baby & toddler equipment such as car seats, strollers, baby carriers, trikes through our partner My Baby in Greece for relaxing walks with your baby at zoos, parks or playgrounds in Greece
- Café within the park with snacks and refreshments for kids
- Public toilets at the north entrance of the park
- Renovated playground with sufficient lighting during the evening
- Large square next to the café and the playground, suitable for bikes and roller blades
- Open market for organic products every Monday, Wednesday and Friday from 10:00 to 16:00
- Regular exhibitions of Floriculture – Horticulture and Herbs are located within the Park
- Various events for children during the summer months (puppetries, theatrical workshop, children’s books exhibitions)
- “En Iko” festival is a top cultural event. It consists of the annual gathering of eco-farmers and eco-craftsmen during the last weekend of June. The park is literally filled with scenes, smells, hammocks, nice faces and improvised music and dance
- Visit: all year
Dimokratias Avenue, next to the Eleftherias Square