Athens is rich in history and monuments but we all know this might be tiring for little travelers. Well, we have good news for you. This tour is specially designed to keep everyone interested at all times! Find out why:
Quick facts about this tour
This tour will take you through the historical part of the city to the Acropolis of Athens and its famous monuments. Get to know the Greek Parliament, the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier, the National Gardens and Zappeion, and of course the Acropolis and the Acropolis Museum.
Duration: 5 hours (including walking time of approx. 60 minutes)
You will enjoy learning about the rich history of Athens and the specially trained guides will use interactive storytelling to catch the kids’ full attention. The interesting facts will be explained in an easy to understand way and even intellectually curious kids will not be disappointed. These guides love being asked questions and sharing their knowledge and passion about Athens and its history.
The Tour – step by step
The meeting point is inside the Syntagma Metro Station next to the ticket validating machines, underneath the hanging clock. Here you will pay a quick 10-15 minutes visit to the Metro Museum. The museum in fact houses very interesting archaeological artifacts from the daily life of ancient Athenians.
Next stop is the Greek House of the Parliament and the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier. Your kids will definitely love the Changing of the Guard, known as ‘Tsoliades’, and they are sure to be impressed by their traditional outfit.
The tour continues towards the National Gardens and on to the beautiful neoclassical Zappeion Hall. At the entrance are the imposing surviving columns of The Temple of Zeus and Hadrian’s Arc. Your young fellows will love running around in the National Garden, a green oasis literally in the centre of Athens.
From there you walk towards the Acropolis through the beautiful pedestrian walk way of Dionyssiou Areopagitou, passing by the statue of Melina Mercouri, a famous Greek politician and actress.
Soon you will arrive at the Acropolis – a monument you just can’t miss! The guide will take you to the entrance by the southern slope in order to skip the crowds and also to visit the Dionysus Sanctuary and Dionysus Theatre built in the 5th century BC. Your guide will take purchase the tickets.
As you begin to ascend the sacred hill, a breathtaking view of the city below will unfold. The kids will see clambering over the rocks as a real adventure!
As you continue up the ascent you’ll come to the Propylaea, the main entrance to Acropolis. Spend some time to admire the caryatids at The Erechtheion Temple while the guide explains the history of the Acropolis – always in the most kid friendly interactive way, of course!
The Acropolis Museum is your last stop. This is a modern museum that is impressive for both its architecture and its exhibits. The sculptures and everyday objects exhibited here reveal really interesting facts about the daily life of Athenians as well as their religious ceremonies. The myths related to Acropolis will definitely capture the attention of your kids.
A hidden gem of this tour
Of course you now know that Athens is full of monuments. However, did you know that construction of the Metro was significantly delayed as various ancient monuments came to light when digging on the project began. Yes, there is even a Metro Museum in Syntagma Square. It is well worth a visit, and that’s where this tour starts.
If you are interested to book this guided tour with us, just press the booking button below and enjoy the tour :)
Families should know
- Upon request there is possibility for a Private Family Guided Tour to Acropolis and a Private Family Guided Tour to the Acropolis Museum
- Athens can be hot, especially during summer months. Make sure you bring some sun lotion as well as suitable footwear for both you and your little fellows
- Most of the time throughout the tour will be spent in the shade but please bring hats because at times you will be exposed to the sun
- Though there are plenty of kiosks in Syntagma it would be advisable to supply yourselves with water, juices and snacks, just to be on the safe side
- Please bear in mind that strollers are not allowed in the Acropolis
Kids will love
- The adventure of climbing up the Acropolis Hill
- The vast gardens at Zappeio and the National Garden
- Learning about Greek mythology during the tour
Parents will love
- The breathtaking view from Acropolis
- The Tomb of the Unknown Soldier
- The 360 degree panoramic view from the top floor of the Acropolis Museum
Best season to visit
- 54€ adults
- 48€ teenager-student
- 17€ child (6-12 years old)
- Free infant (0-5 years old)
- Tickets for Acropolis & Acropolis Museum not included (price for ticket 17€ or 9€)
Share on Social Media