One of the most beautiful beaches of Crete just 6km east of the town of Ierapetra and 48km south of Agios Nikolaos, Koutsounari is a must-see if you are in the area. Spectacular calm waters, lovely coarse sand, and a family-friendly environment with all the necessary amenities.
The main beach is 5km long and organized in most parts. Here you will find a variety of amenities, hotels and taverns.
The sandy cove of Psaropoula and Kakkos bay at the eastern part of the beach are the most ideal for families, as the water is almost always calm and well protected from the winds. Plus, it is well organized with sunbeds, umbrellas, showers, and water sports and a perfect spot for snorkeling and diving from the big rocks on both sides of the beach!
One favorite spots for kids are the following in Koutsounari Beach:
- The bay in front of the Kakkos Bay Hotel. There is a restaurant which lots of family find very handy.
- The beach in front of Coriva Beach Hotel. We LOVE the Bar Restaurant Pelagos, for modern Cretan cuisine, which operates all day long.
- Between Coriva Beach Hotel and Kakkos Bay, there is also another restaurant on the beach, Psaropoula, more traditional than Pelagos.
- Another restaurant that we love is Alatsi, especially for dinner. Kids love playing on the beach safely, while, their parents enjoy the delicious food.
If you have time, you must visit the amazing Roman fish tanks near Kakkos bay, but make sure you wear appropriate shoes, as the rocks can be sharp.
You can also enjoy a drink or snack at the pool of Kakkos Beach Hotel and enjoy a beautiful view to the coast.
Families should know
- Kakkos bay can be busy during the weekends, especially in August
- The water in some parts can get deep quite quickly, so be aware if you are traveling with toddlers and young kids
- There are many options for eating in Koutsounari, and many taverns are right next to the beach. Try Alatsi restaurant or Pelagos seaside restaurant for an unforgettable gastronomical experience!
Best season to visit
Find out the where to go and what to do in Greece with the family. Book with us for amazing family memories.
Get inspired by our top ideas for vacation in Greece. Discover our blog full of ideas, insights about Greek destinations, reviews for kid friendly activities, hotels, beaches, museums and so much more!