Mazida Ammos (Xerokambos) Beach
In the southeast part of the island, 103km away from Agios Nikolaos, 47km from Siteia and 69km east of Ierapetra, you will find Xerokambos and Mazida Ammo, the longest beach of the area. The landscape is simply breathtaking and can hardly be described with words…The wild, rocky mountains contrast with the peaceful sea waters.
Mazida Ammos is one of the most beautiful beaches of the island, with green blue waters and white sand. Apart from the natural shade created by a few trees along the beach, there aren’t any specifically organised shady spots. Children can play carefree at the sea shore since the waters are shallow and the sea is usually calm.
You could lie on the sand and admire the endless Libyan sea and Kavalous, two small islands right opposite the beach. Interestingly, Jacques Yves Cousteau with his famous boat ‘Calypso’ anchored there for a whole summer. Do you believe this was coincidence? We really don’t think so!
Families should know
- The beach is not organised, thus we would suggest you to get all necessary equipment before you visit e.g. umbrellas, water and food. Do not forget your hats
- All beaches at Xerokambos have shallow crystal clear waters. There are however many strong sea currents so it would be wise to swim close to the sea shore
- The drive to Xerokambos has many abrupt turns which can get tiring especially when you travel with young children
- The surrounding area is not really set up for tourists. There are some rooms to rent, only a couple of taverns and a mini market. The nearest pharmacy and gas station is based in Zakros (around 15 min drive). The nearest ATM is at Ziros, approximately 30 min by car
Kids will love
The endless sandy beach and the games in the green blue waters
Parents will love
- The truly magical and ‘wild’ landscape
- The relaxed rhythms away from the city noises
Best season to visit
Get inspired by our top ideas for vacation in Greece. Discover our blog full of ideas, insights about Greek destinations, reviews for kid friendly activities, hotels, beaches, museums and so much more!