Elounda is the most luxurious area in Crete, located in the beautiful gulf of Mirabello, approximately 10km north of Agios Nikolaos. East of Elounda you will find Skisma, the main beach of the area. This sandy beach is based right next to the small port of the village and it is very well organised by the municipality. Every year, Skisma is being awarded with a “Blue Flag” by the European Union. Sea waters are refreshing and really clean. Furthermore, due to the lagoon of Korfou, you will probably never see any waves.
The beach offers all comforts a family might need in order to relax and have fun. From umbrellas, sun beds, shower to beach volley, water sports and a playground for the younger members of the team! At Skisma you can enjoy the sea with your family and then savour fresh fish together with other local recipes in the taverns of the village.
Families should know
- Skisma beach usually gets quite crowded, especially over the weekends in July and August
- There are several accommodation facilities in the area if you wish to stay at Elounda. Keep in mind that most of them are luxurious properties that appeal to families with “higher vacation budgets”. At Agios Nikolaos, you will be able to find less pricey accommodation alternatives
- The wider area is really popular among tourists and can get crowded. We would suggest that you avoid the taverns that look “too touristic”
Kids will love
- Splashing around in the calm sea
- The water sports
- The playground
Parents will love
- The well organised beach
- The pretty small village of Elounda
Best season to visit
Get inspired by our top ideas for vacation in Greece. Discover our blog full of ideas, insights about Greek destinations, reviews for kid friendly activities, hotels, beaches, museums and so much more!