Archaeological Museum Heraklion
The Archaeological Museum Heraklion has been the second most visited museum in Greece despite the work in progress on the renovation for several years. Visitors from all over the world can now admire this well-known museum in its full glory.
Collections cover approximately 5,500 thousand years of history dating from the Neolithic period to Roman times, and they showcase how Crete had been the most glorious chapter of the entire ancient Greek world. However, the most important collection is undoubtedly that of Minoan art. The great civilization of the Minoans, pioneers in the history of Europe, is kept alive here. We recommend our Private Family Tour Archaeological Museum Heraklion to reveal all the secrets and traditions of the Minoan era.
The new wing meets all modern standards while respecting the philosophy and the history of the original building. All captions are stylish and explanatory texts of the exhibits will help you understand the glory of all exhibits.
Prior to your visit, it might be worth explaining to your children about the mystery of the Phaistos Disc and how difficult it still is to fully decipher. A good source of information for the Disc can be found in the documentary series Ancient X-files from National Geographic.
If you want to combine your visit to the museum with a tour to the Minoan Palace of Knossos, we highly recommend a combination with our Private Guided Tour to the Palace of Knossos.
Before you plan your visits to Knossos and to the museum, dive into some Greek mythology stories such as Theseus and the Minotaur, Icarus and Daedalous. Trust us, there is no doubt that these will fascinate your kids and help them understand your visit better. Kids Love Knossos is the best way to do it!
Families should know
- It would be ideal to visit the museum after you have been to the archaeological site of Knossos
- We recommend that you buy a combined Knossos and museum ticket as there is a price discount even if you don’t visit both places on the same day
- Parking is quite difficult around the museum. If you have your own car, it is best to park in one of the paid parking areas in the centre of Heraklion
- For prompt information about the timetable and tickets please follow this link: http://odysseus.culture.gr
Kids will love
- The fresco of the Prince of the Lilies
- The Phaistos Disc – one of the X-files of Ancient Greece
Parents will love
- The magnificence of the hall which houses the sculptures
- The beautiful garden with monuments of modern Heraklion
Best season to visit