The Archaeological Museum Heraklion has been the second most visited museum in Greece despite the work in progress on the renovation for several years. The renovated wing finally opened its doors in early May 2014 and it seems the wait has been well worth it as the results are very impressive and visitors from all over the world can now admire this well known museum.
Collections cover approximately 5,500 thousand years of history dating from the Neolithic period to Roman times, and they showcase how Crete had been the most glorious chapter of the entire ancient Greek world. However, the most important collection is undoubtedly that of Minoan art. The Archaeological Museum Heraklion keeps alive the soul of this great civilization which has been a pioneer in the history of Europe and our Private Family Tour Archaeological Museum Heraklion will reveal to your family all secrets and traditions of the minoan era.
The new wing meets all modern standards while respecting the philosophy and the history of the original building. All captions are stylish and explanatory texts of the exhibits will help you understand the glory of all exhibits.
Prior to your visit it might be worth explaining to your children about the mystery of the Phaistos Disc and how difficult it still is to fully decipher. A good source of information for the Disc can be found in the documentary series Ancient X-files from National Geographic
We highly recommend you to arrange a Private family guided tour to the Museum and combine it with a Private Guided Tour to the Palace of Knossos.
Before you plan your visits to Knossos and to the museum, we highly suggest you have a look at some Greek mythology stories such as Theseus and the Minotaur, Icarus and Daedalous. Trust us, there is no doubt that this will prove fascinating for your kids. Kids Love Knossos is the best way to do it!
Families should know
- Don’t forget to visit the hall with sculptures which is just before the exit on the ground floor of the museum
- It would be ideal to visit the museum after a visit to the archaeological site of Knossos
- We recommend that you buy a combined Knossos and museum ticket as there is a price discount even if you don’t visit both places on the same day
- Parking is quite difficult around the museum. If you have your own car, it is best to park in one of the parking lots you will find in the centre of Heraklion
Kids will love
- The fresco of the Prince of the Lilies
- The Phaistos Disc – one of the X-files of Ancient Greece
Parents will love
- The magnificence of the hall which houses the sculptures
- The beautiful garden with monuments of modern Heraklion
Best season to visit
- General admission 6€
- Reduced ticket 3€
Share on Social Media