Centre Food & Drink
An oasis in the centre of Kerameikos: a garden ideal for your little fellows to run around in as well as an emphasis on quality food from local fresh ingredients.
Located between Iera Odo and Peraios St., Athiri not so easy to find but when you do come across it you will be pleasantly surprised.
The inside is cosy and simple with attention to detail and children will love the garden, weather permitting. There are also things to entertain the children such as table games, crayons and pens for colouring, and tents that will keep them occupied while you enjoy your food.
Apart from its architecture, Athiri has a good reputation for its cuisine. Chef Alexandros Kardasis likes experimenting with Agaricus mushrooms in traditional Greek cuisine. All ingredients used are fresh and local with no preserves or tinned food, and nothing is micro waved. Such ingredients are frumenty and traditional pasta from Arcadia, beans from Prespes, ‘cavourmas’ from Xanthi, soutzouki (kind of sausage) from Drama, fava from Santorini and white taramasalata. Apart from this, the restaurant is also rated in the Michelin Guide 2014.
You will love the salads, the tapas, the homemade bread and homemade desserts. Do try leg of lamb cooked in a vacuum with trahanas (frumenty) from Arcadia in a red sauce, scented with thyme as well as the delicious tapas such as yellow split peas from Santorini with caramelized onion and sweet tomato. ‘Bon appetite’
- smoked beef roll with ‘stamnagathi’ (spiny chicory), roast red peppers, ‘xinomyzithra’ cheese from Crete, and a green pepper sauce
- pork in lemon sauce with quince puree and a filo pastry crust with thyme and fleur de sel
- Portobello and Agaricus mushrooms cooked in a vacuum with porcini sauce and fresh thyme
- yellow split peas from Santorini with caramelized onion and sweet tomato, also
- leg of lamb cooked in a vacuum with ‘trahanas’ (frumenty) from Arcadia in a red sauce, scented with thyme
Families should know
- The cuisine is excellent for adults but may not be so appealing to kids who are not used to trying new things. We would recommend you ask the chef to prepare something simpler e.g. pasta for your little fellows and he will gladly do it
- Rent high quality baby & toddler equipment such as booster seats and strollers through our partner My Baby in Greece for stress-free and enjoyable family meals in Greece