Rethymnon Food & Drink
Plateia Taverna, Mirthios
A great taverna to finish off the day with its stunning view over the bay of Plakias, Plateia also offers some of the most sophisticated cuisine in the area at reasonable prices.
Plateia Taverna is the oldest in Mirthios, and offers some of the best food around along with a breath-taking view to go with it. The home-cooked food is served up in generous portions by an efficient and friendly team headed by owner Frederikos Kalogerakis. If you can’t decide what you want to eat—a common problem—it’s possible to make your own meze from a selection on the menu!
- Snail and Onion Stew (Salingaria Stifado)
- Daily changing special menu ensures variety of traditional home-cooked Cretan specials
Families should know
- Popular dishes are often finished by 9:00pm, and you may have to wait for a table
- Plateia is a 15 minute walk from nearby Plakias up a steep hill winding through olive groves
- Limited parking is available next to Plateia: if no spaces are available, drive a little further up the road for roadside parking (approximately 2-3 minutes’ walk back to the taverna)
- Children should be supervised: Plateia is situated on the main, if not always busy, road
- Children’s portions are available, as are meze plates
- Fills up early in the summertime by people looking for front-row seats to the sunset—advisable to arrive between 6:30—7:00 for the best seats
- No reservations