Travel with Kids to Greece Forum

Greece Forum for Families
Please or Register to create posts and topics.

NAXOS or PAROS with the Family?

We are a family of five (2 adults and 3 kids aged 9,5,4). We are planning to visit Greece next summer and are not sure where to stay. We really love everything we have found about Paros and Naxos. Which island do you recommend for our family? We really enjoy the privacy and are thinking of staying about 7 nights. Also, we would love to do a full day sailing trip. What do you think?

This is a very interesting question! Many families have asked us this one, and this is a frequent debate! Our answer for you is: It depends! 

In my opinion, Naxos is a better place to visit with your family for specific reasons. Firstly, it is less cosmopolitan than Paros. For this reason, it is the perfect destination for young kids/ toddlers/ babies.  Since you mention you love to have some privacy, maybe this is a better choice for you? 

Also, Naxos is a bigger island, with more (and larger) kid-friendly, sandy beaches. Naxos has numerous kid-friendly activities for you. From sailing trips, to food tours and wineries, Naxos has the whole package (check our top-selection guide here for more info).  Finally, Naxos is noticeably cheaper than Paros. Thus, if you think of renting a car and want to keep your vacation on a budget, Naxos is the best choice.

On the flip side, this doesn’t mean that Paros isn’t a great choice for families too! For example, Paros is a much better choice for older kids, teens/ young adults (especially the area around Naousa). Paros is more cosmopolitan than Naxos. Thus, if you enjoy a well-developed nightlife, Paros is probably the best island for you. Still, both islands have numerous restaurants and bars for you and your husband. Still, keep in mind that Paros is more expensive and you need a car (as the place drops you at Partikia).

Paros and Naxos are easily accessible via plane or ferry from Athens. 

To sum up, if I had to choose one, it would be Naxos. I like Paros, but Naxos is cheaper and better for relaxation. However, this is obviously my personal opinion. Let me know what you think of that. If you need some more information via email at: info@kidslovegreece.com