Rethymno Family Walking Tour
Join the Rethymno Family Walking Tour in the old town and learn about Rethymnon’s thousand-or-so years of history.
The tour will start by learning about the iconography of the Orthodox church, where you’ll hear how religion kept the Cretan culture alive despite many different conquerors.
Then, our family friendly guide will tell stories and show you evidence in historical sites about how this city began to grow after it was conquered by the Venetians and the Byzantines.
As part of this tour you will visit the old Ottoman district, known for its impressive doorframes and mix of histories. There you will admire the Mosque of Kara Mousha Pasha and St. Francesco Church (now the Byzantine Museum) alongside Venetian mansions, temples turned to mosques, and the “Turkish” school.
Next, it’s time to discover the Cretan diet and its incredible flavours; you will sample local bites like traditional koulouri, Greek coffee, Cretan pastries, cheese and olives and try some Cretan wine (cultivated here since 1600 BC!!!).
Under the guidance of our local guide, you will navigate the labyrinth of Venetian and Ottoman streets of the Old City, checking out the most important monuments in the historical centre including Rethymnon’s fountains, historic homes, and the grand Fortezza.
Our Rethymno Family Walking Tour will end at the beautiful waterfront and our guide will be more than happy to make recommendations for what else you can do in Rethymno with your children. Specifically, our family friendly guide will point out places of interest in Rethymnon, such as museums, and make recommendations of places you can visit in your own time after the tour.
Families should know
- The duration is 4 hours and the meeting point is the Square of the Four Martyrs in the centre of modern Rethymnon (in front of the Four Martyrs Church).
- The suggested starting time is 9.00 am
- The ending point is Fortezza, the Venetian fortress in Rethymnon, near the Venetian Port
- Inclusions: Local English-speaking guide, local food and beverage samples, coffee or soft drink
- Exclusions: Additional food and drink, items of a personal nature, tips / gratuities for your local guide
- As this is a family walking tour, we advise you wear comfortable walking shoes
- During summer, don’t forget your sunglasses and, of course, a camera as Rethymnon is sure to amaze you!
- You will be in a small group of a maximum of 12 people
- Our family friendly guide will ask them at the beginning of the tour to keep notes and let them find their way back to your hotel using their notes sheet once the tour is over
Best season to visit
Get inspired by our top ideas for vacation in Greece. Discover our blog full of ideas, insights about Greek destinations, reviews for kid friendly activities, hotels, beaches, museums and so much more!