Visit Majestic Meteora by Train from Athens
Take a day out of your sightseeing in Athens to visit the spectacular cliff top monasteries at Meteora on this 14-hour excursion by rail.
Catch the train for Kalambaka at 7:20 AM from Athens railway station and sit back to admire the beauty of Greece’s countryside along the way.
At 11:30 AM, arrive in Kalambaka, a small town built at the foot of rocky gray cliffs. They are crowned by the incredible Greek Orthodox monasteries of Meteora, a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
On meeting up with your English-speaking driver upon arrival in Kalambaka, who will be holding a sign with your name on it, you will alight a luxury vehicle. You then have around 4 1/2 hours (including a quick lunch break) to explore the marvelous Meteora. Some of the favorite family activities in the area include:
a. For those interested in Meteora in a nutshell
- Visit the amazing clifftop monasteries
- Enter 3 monasteries to see how the monks live
- Explore the hermit caves of Badovas
- Admire the breathtaking views from the ‘Panorama Rock‘
- Great photo opportunities
b. For those interested in hiking (standard hiking tour)
- See the old renovated monastery of Ypapanti, built on the side of the rock. It’s open to the public Monday to Friday from April till October
- Walkthrough the forest of Meteora and get away from the crowds
- Discover places accessible only on foot
- Visit the monastery of Great Meteoron when open, or Varlaam when the Great Meteoron is closed
C. For those interested in hiking (Hiking Meteora’s Hermit Caves)
- See the prison where the monks lived when they were expelled
- Unique views from the top of the Holy Spirit cliff
- Visit the cave chapel dedicated to the Holy Spirit
- Find the hermitage of St. George of “Mandilaras”
- An afternoon hike off the beaten tourist paths
D. Private Hiking and Scramble Tour of Great Saint
- The Via Cordata experience
- Breathtaking views
- Great photo opportunities
- Avoid the crowds
At the end of the day, you will be transferred back to Kalambaka, where you can enjoy some time exploring the town and having a light lunch (not included in the tour price).
At 5:15 PM the train departs Kalambaka, arriving in Athens at 9:25 PM.
Customize your itinerary to meet your interests.
Families should know
- The 1st class seats on the train are more comfortable and quieter. They are almost always arranged in a 6-seat-room, offering a higher amount of privacy. In addition, the first-class coach is located next to the train’s cafeteria, offering fast access to the cafeteria should you wish to buy a snack or drink during your trip.
- You will receive your train tickets via email approximately one month prior to the date of your trip.
- The one-day train tour to Meteora is not a highly suggested option for families with young kids because the total duration of the trip is 14 hrs.
- For families with young children, we recommend that you stay one night.
- The Day trip includes: hotel pick-up and drop-off from Athens Hotel to Athens Train Station, round-trip train tickets, pick-up and drop-off from Kalambaka train station, transportation by luxury air-conditioned vehicle after getting off the train in Kalambaka, local English speaking guide, free map and bottle of water
- The admission tickets for the monastery is excluded
Best season to visit