Loutro for Families: Things to Do
Why is Loutro so unique?
Loutro is a small picturesque fishing village with white buildings and blue window frames that are reminiscent of the Cyclades and are unique in Crete. Loutro is situated on the south coast of Crete, near Chora Sfakion, and about 70 km south of Chania, the capital city of the region.
Loutro is stunningly beautiful and sits in small bay. It has not yet spoilt by mass tourism and is a place for those families that want something different.
There are no big hotels with swimming pools, no overcrowded streets, restaurants, and beaches.
Restaurants and the mini market on the waters’ edge are all within a couple of minutes’ walk, and there is a jetty where the boats from Sfakia and Agia Roumeli moor.
What things can you do in Loutro?
- Enjoy walking in the scenic, unspoiled mountain countryside with its valleys and gorges.
- Discover beautiful beaches like Glyka Nera (Sweetwater Beach), a popular nudist beach, or Marmara Beach, where you can enjoy the sun, sea, and peaceful tranquillity. Most local beaches can be accessed by daily boat.
- The beach at Loutro is pebbly and kayaks are available for rent.
How to go to Loutro?
There is no road in Loutro itself, no cars and no motorbikes. Actually, there is one car, which is used to transfer supplies from the boat to hotels and restaurants!
To go to Loutro. you will need to drive to Sfakia and get on the ferry. The road to Sfakia from Chania is really stunning and despite some recent road improvements, there are still a couple of scary bends on the road. That said, this adds to the excitement of the journey!
Have a coffee stop on the way and call in at one of the tavernas at Impros and try the ‘Sfakiani pitta’, the local specialty which is a yummy kind of pancake with cheese and honey that everyone is sure to love.
You can also reach Loutro by driving to Paleochora and get the ferry to Loutro.
Families should know
- Loutro gets very with locals on weekends in high season so book ahead if you decide to stay overnight
- Loutro is very casual and beachwear, casual clothes and flip flops will suffice
- Τhe only access to Loutro is by ferry or taxi boat from Sfakia, or by a couple of hours walk along the coastal track.
Best season to visit
Get inspired by our top ideas for vacation in Greece. Discover our blog full of ideas, insights about Greek destinations, reviews for kid friendly activities, hotels, beaches, museums and so much more!