Dive into the Archeological Museum of Heraklion | A Private Tour
If you’re passionate about history and want to visit one of the best museums in all of Greece, this is the tour for you. Enjoy our two-hour guided tour of the Archeological Museum of Heraklion, and dive head first into a world of ancient wonder, fascinating history and cultural delights.
The Archeological Museum of Heraklion is famous for housing a world-class collection of artifacts found from all around Crete. From the Palace of Knossos to other relics of the Minoan civilization, this museum truly has it all.
Best visited after first exploring the archeological site of Knossos, your museum trip will be alongside a professional guide — there to help bring the exhibition to life. Our guides are excellent storytellers, specialized in keeping the little ones engaged and interested.
Make your way around the exhibition and find yourself lost in a world of ancient art, design and ceramics. Inside, you’ll also find the famous Phaistos Disc – a favorite with children. Legend has it, it contains a secret script that no-one has yet been able to decipher. Who knows, maybe your kids will be the ones to crack the code on this fun and educational tour of the Archeological Museum of Heraklion!
Private Family Tour Archaeological Museum Heraklion – Highlights
One of the exhibits of the museum, the Phaistos disc, will probably be your children’s favorite showpiece. It is most noteworthy and it certainly has an air of mystery to it. As of today no one has managed to decipher its meaning. Indeed, the National Geographic rightly included it in the X-files of ancient times. So do not forget to take your best selfies infront of the Phaistos disc. And of course next to the the fresco of the Prince of the Lilies.
We highly recommend you to combine the specific guided tour with a Private Guided Tour to the Palace of Knossos .
Before you plan your visits to Knossos and to the museum, we highly suggest you have a look at some Greek mythology stories such as Theseus and the Minotaur, Icarus and Daedalus. Trust us, there is no doubt that this will prove fascinating for your kids. Our Kids Love Knossos App is the best way to do it!
Families should know
- Don’t forget to visit the hall with sculptures which is just before the exit on the ground floor of the museum
- It would be ideal to visit the museum after a visit to the archaeological site of Knossos
- Prior to your visit it might be worth explaining to your children about the mystery of the Phaistos Disc and how difficult it still is to fully decipher. A good source of information for the Disc can be found in the documentary series Ancient X-files from National Geographic
- We recommend that you buy a combined Knossos and museum ticket as there is a price discount even if you don’t visit both places on the same day
- Parking is quite difficult around the museum. If you have your own car, it is best to park in one of the parking lots you will find in the centre of Heraklion
Best season to visit
Get inspired by our top ideas for vacation in Greece. Discover our blog full of ideas, insights about Greek destinations, reviews for kid friendly activities, hotels, beaches, museums and so much more!