To walk down the picturesque streets of Fira up to the stunning and cosy village of Imerovigli is one of the most popular walking tours in Santorini. While crossing the dazzling pathways along the way you’ll have amazing and remarkable views over the famous caldera giving you several reasons to stop for shots and capture these memories!
Oia is also an excellent place for a nice walk. Start on the eastern side of the village and walk along its main road. You can explore many other paths along the way until you finally reach the western point of the island where all tourists head for to see the world famous sunset.
There is a lesser known Oia-Fira hiking trail which connects the two towns. Those who have walked it say it is beautiful though it isn’t recommended for kids under 6 years old as it is approximately 12 miles long. If you are relatively fit you can do the hike in 2.5 hours but if you want to do it at leisure then it is better to allow over 4 hours, especially as you will find yourself stopping often to take photos of the stunning views. Furthermore, the little side streets will tempt you to diverge from the route. If you are energetic try climbing Skaros Rock along the way.
Families should know
- Take sun lotion and a few bottles of water with you as walking in the sun can be very hot and tiring
- You don’t need to hire a guide – just grab a map of the island and you’ll be able to follow the routes by yourself
- There are plenty of restaurants and bars along the way, especially because Oia and Fira are the most popular places on the island
Kids will love
- To eat an ice cream while strolling from Fira to Imerovigli
- To take some pictures just like mom and dad! Get them a disposable camera and let them take some photos from their own point of view!
Parents will love
- The sunset in Oia – worth every single minute’s wait!
- The view of the caldera along the way
- Lunch or dinner with a stunning view in one of the finest restaurants of the island
Best season to visit
Share on Social Media