Sarantaris beach belongs to the famous ” bays of the peninsula” (Limanakia), located 27km east of Heraklion. Limanakia is beautiful and usually not windy, but we highly recommend the Sarandaris beach for your family due to its fine sand and shallow waters.
There are umbrellas and sunbeds on one part of the beach. If you prefer the natural shade, the “rock” along the beach will offer you generous amounts for several hours at no cost. Near the beach you will find a small canteen and many restaurants, a cafe and beach bars in the nearby area. If you want to stay close to Limanakia, there are several accommodation options for all tastes and budgets.
Families should know
- Limanakia can be overcrowded especially during weekends. We recommend that you go to the beach as early as possible in the morning and avoid weekends
- Similar to all beaches in the Northeast of Crete, there might be times that you see algae
- To reach the beach you will need to follow a small (steep) path from the main road.
- You might find it challenging to access the beach with a baby stroller. We recommend that you visit other beaches in the area
- Adjacent to the main beach Sarandaris, there is a nudist beach
- Since the whole area is called Cape Sarantaris, ask a local to tell you which of all the various beaches in the cape is the so-called “THE Sarantaris Beach”
Kids will love
The beautiful sand and splashing in the water
Parents will love
- Relaxing under the shade of the large rock
- Multiple options for dining and entertainment in the area
Best season to visit
Get inspired by our top ideas for vacation in Greece. Discover our blog full of ideas, insights about Greek destinations, reviews for kid friendly activities, hotels, beaches, museums and so much more!