Heraklion Family Ultimate Sightseeing Tour
Make the most of your stay in Crete with our proposed Heraklion family ultimate sightseeing tours . Our expert tour guides, who are specialised in families, will take you to the magnificent Palace of Knossos and the Archaeological Museum of Heraklion before giving you time to explore the city of Heraklion and it’s historical centre.
Knossos is one of the top attractions for kids in Crete and it is a great place to extend your child’s education on Greek Mythology. It’s important to set your child’s expectations that there is no maze as this is just a part of the myth. A tour guide is invaluable when visiting the Palace as there is little in the way of signage. So you having someone to answer questions is one of the many benefits of having a tour guide in the specific site.
Located in the heart of Heraklion and recently renovated, the Archaeological Museum of Heraklion hosts among others the fresco of the Prince of the Lilies and The Phaistos Disc – one of the X-files of Ancient Greece.
Your local guide will walk with you in the city of Heraklion and show you around the Venetian walls, The Koules Fortress in the old harbor, the Lions’ Fountain in the Lions’ Square, Loggia, the Basilica of San Marco, Agios Titos Church, the bustling open vegetable, fruit, meat and herbs market with the local shops and cafeterias. Have a snack at one of the local cafes and try the famous bougatsa
You are sure to be amazed by this ‘must see’ Heraklion family ultimate sightseeing tours.
Duration: 6 hours.
Before you plan your visit to Knossos, we suggest you have a look at some Greek mythology stories such as Theseus and the Minotaur, Icarus and Daedalous. They might prove fascinating for your kids. Kids Love Knossos App is the best way to do it!
Families should know
- Peak season can be very hot, so you will need to ensure that you take plenty of water on your tour and take shelter from the sun at the hottest part of the day.
- Do not forget your hat and sunscreen, especially during the summer months when the sun is quite intense and shade is scarce.
- Please note that Knossos Palace has some stairs that may not be suitable for younger children.
- Our tours are available in a number of languages, including English, Spanish, French, and Mandarin
- Your tour guide will tell you of when is the best time of the day to visit The Palace of Knossos so as to avoid the crowds. In any case, if you visit the area in summer, it would be good to avoid the midday hours (12.00 – 16.00) due to high temperatures. Avoid the weekends as it can be crowded. During the summer months there are usually long queues at the ticket counters. We suggest arriving relatively early in the morning.
- We recommend you buy some water before entering the archaeological site.
- Unfortunately, for the restoration of the palace, cement has been used in several places.
- One of the benefits of having a tour guide in Greece is that they will know the best child-friendly taverns to stop at and can recommend local delicacies for you to sample—we recommend Crete’s famous bougatsa.
- There are special offers on multi-attraction tours so be sure not to buy individual tickets.
Kids will love
- The Koules Fortress at the old harbor
- Listening to the story of Theseus and Minotaur in the Palace of Knossos
Parents will love
- Exploring Heraklion Beachfront
- The magnificent Minoan exhibits, especially the 4,000 year old Phaistos Disc
- The Palace of Knossos and its connection with Greek mythology
Best season to visit
Get inspired by our top ideas for vacation in Greece. Discover our blog full of ideas, insights about Greek destinations, reviews for kid friendly activities, hotels, beaches, museums and so much more!