Meteora Train Day Trip from Athens
Enjoy a 4hr scenic rail journey with your family and visit the famous Meteora monasteries by train. Join the travel trend of sustainable travel and sit back while the beautiful countryside landscape of Greece passes by your window.
This Meteora Train Day Trip starts at 7:20 am from Larissis train station in the center of Athens where you will board on the train to Kalambaka-Meteora. Around 11:30 am the train arrives to Kalambaka train station. Upon your arrival, your guide will be waiting for you at the train station. Together you will board a VIP 19-seater minibus and enjoy a tour around Meteora, its world-famous rock formations and astonishing ancient UNESCO World Heritage Site monasteries.
You and your family will admire breathtaking views and learn more about the history behind each visited spot. During the tour, brief stops will be made at the best viewpoints of Meteora. You will also visit the hermit caves of Badovas. This trip gives you an opportunity to see all six famous monasteries of Meteora and you will visit two of the Meteora monasteries inside.
Around 03:45 pm, your minibus will bring you back to Kalambaka train station for your journey back to Athens. The train to Athens departs at 05:15 pm so, you will have more than an hour free time to walk around the town’s center or to enjoy a meal. You will arrive back to Athens at around 09:25 pm ending your Meteora Train Day Trip.
This train journey is ideal for families with teenagers or adventurous children. For families with younger kids, we recommend choosing the option of a two-day rail tour from Athens. For more information on this suggestion, please contact the Kids Love Greece team.
Families should know
- The 1st class seats on the train are more comfortable and quieter. They are almost always arranged in a 6-seat-room, offering a higher amount of privacy. In addition, the first-class coach is located next to the train’s cafeteria, offering fast access to the cafeteria should you wish to buy a snack or drink during your trip.
- You will receive your train tickets via email approximately one month prior to the date of your trip.
- The one-day train tour to Meteora is not a highly suggested option for families with young kids because the total duration of the trip is 14 hrs.
- For families with young children, we recommend that you stay one night.
Kids will love
- The train ride through the ever-changing Greek countryside
- Having their parents’ full attention during the train journey
- The impressive rock formations
Parents will love
- Relaxing during the train ride and not having to worry about the route
- Visiting the world-famous ancient monasteries
- Visiting places in Greece while their base is Athens
Best season to visit