One of the most modern aquariums in Europe, it offers both young visitors and grown ups the chance to explore the magic of the Mediterranean sea world - a truly entertaining and educational experience for the whole family.
CretAquarium offers 100 observation points where you can see more than 2,500 marine species displayed in 60 aquariums of different sizes.
Do not expect to find exotic fish with flashy colours. You will acquaint yourselves instead with Mediterranean marine life and meet majestic sharks, playful octopi, tiny seahorses and enchanting jellyfish.
The deep blue of the Greek sea creates a serene and relaxed atmosphere. The huge tanks with the sharks are always the most popular spots for all members of the family. In the ‘touch tanks’, the children can touch and get a closer look at marine invertebrates.
If you are a family of sea lovers do not waste any time, CretAquarium is waiting for you.
Families should know
- We would recommend visiting the aquarium during the week in order to avoid the crowds at the weekend
- Explanatory information in front of the different exhibits is provided only in Greek and English
- We would suggest going by car. Public transport stops quite far from the aquarium entrance. Walking from there can be unpleasant, especially during the summer months when temperatures are quite high
- Three big parking areas are available for visitors
- Gift shop
- Café, Snack Bar, Restaurant
On certain occasions CretAquarium hosts interesting exhibitions. For more information regarding the exhibitions / events available during the period of interest, we would recommend visiting the section ‘News’ at the landing page of the website of CretAquarium (http://www.cretaquarium.gr/indexen.php) or at CretAquarium’s page on facebook (http://www.facebook.com/pages/Cretaquarium-Thalassocosmos/268749546478691).