Crete is an island where traditions and knowledge are passed down from generation to generation. This is particularly true when it comes to herbs used in natural medicines, teas, and Greek cuisine. Discover the Wild Herbs of Crete Family Tour, provides a brief introduction to the wild herbs of Crete, and their importance in medicine and diet throughout thousands of years.
As part of this hands-on tour, you will learn how the herbs are gathered, often from a steep mountainside, and then stored and processed. You will then discover which ones are used in teas, as flavourings for cooking, and which ones are said to have healing properties. The ancient Greeks used many of these same herbs to cure a variety of ailments, and today they can be found in herbal stores around the world.
During this fun and educational activity, the whole family can touch and taste a variety of herbs, some of which you may be familiar with, and others you may not. You can also sample different teas made from them, as well as enjoying a delicious outdoor picnic with the family in a beautiful setting.
Discover the Wild Herbs of Crete Family Tour is ideal for families who would like a break from ‘ancient stuff’, and would like to experience a more rural and traditional side to Sitia, Crete. Kids Love Greece also offers a number of other rural family friendly activities in Crete. Why not visit a traditional village and enjoy a meal in a Cretan home, or try a bakery class and get a true taste of rural life? For more information on family friendly activities in Crete, take a look here – Kid-friendly activities in Crete.
Families should know
- Some walking involved (very easy)
- A fun and interactive activity
- You will receive information notes about the herbs
- A basic level of fitness and a sense of fun required!
Kids will love
- See where the herbs are gathered, and if it is the right season, collecting their own
- Hearing about how the herbs have been used through thousands of years
- Feeling and smelling the different types of herbs
Parents will love
- A genuine rural experience with passionate farmers
- The outdoor picnic in the beautiful village
Best season to visit
Share on Social Media