Harriet’s Hydra Horses
This is absolutely a must-do family experience on the island of Hydra.
While it’s easy to be mesmerized by the beautiful surroundings of the port of Hydra, Harriet’s Horses gives you the extra motivation to find the island’s hidden treasures, far off the beaten track.
Harriet, originally from Britain, is a very friendly local guide who has lived on the island since the age of 10. Harriet’s knowledge of Hydra is second to none, and her trekking horses are the best behaved on the island. If you’re looking for a true action adventure, Harriet’s Horses can take you to the mountain peaks of Hydra as well as monasteries and beaches.
Fluent in both Greek and English, Harriet is a fully-licensed guide with calm, fully-trained horses ready to take you on a comfortable ride—simply put your safety helmet on and let the adventure begin!
Treks can last anywhere between thirty minutes to seven hours, and Harriet’s Horses can take on custom requests to fit your family’s specific needs. If you’re looking for an authentic adventure with memories to last a lifetime, we strongly recommend giving Harriet’s Horses a try.
Families should know
- Younger kids and toddlers can ride on the same horse as their parents.
- Only experienced rides can take a horse solo—for those less experienced, Harriet will lead the way
- Other locals offer rides on donkeys (sometimes a mule, sometimes a horse) as well. These rides are approximately twenty minutes long and cost around €10. The ride is fairly basic, taking you from the harbor down some back streets before heading back to the starting point.
- If you’re looking for a tailored journey, talking to the muleteer and negotiating a price can yield great results! The reason Harriet’s Horses costs more is simple: the treks take you outside of Hydra Town and last longer.
- Harriet’s Horses can get very busy, especially in the high season—emailing or calling her is the best way to contact her. Needless to say, booking in advance is recommended!