Visit to the Volcano in Santorini
Located in the center of Santorini’s famous caldera, the island of Nea Kameni dates back to the early 18th century when it was formed by the continuous eruptions that occurred between 1701 and 1711. It emerged from the sea, forming the island that is now the centerpiece of all Santorini’s stunning views.
The volcano is still active (the last eruption occurred in 1950) with some of its craters still releasing volcanic smoke. You can be certain that your kids will be thrilled to walk on an active volcano – let’s face it, and opportunity like that doesn’t come along very often!
Furthermore, the view of Thira is absolutely breathtaking!
There are 4 different ways to visit the volcano:
- An organized group tour where you visit only the volcano.
- A half-day group tour where you combine the visit to the volcano with swimming in the hot springs.
- A full-day organized group tour, during which you first visit the volcano and swim in the hot springs followed by lunch at Thirassia.
- A tailor-made Private Santorini Volcano Tour for Families, a fully customized experience. If your budget allows, we highly recommend this option as it is the most kid-friendly due to the high temperature on the volcano, which can cause fatigue.
During all tour, the guides are extremely kind and helpful as they explain the details and historical facts about the volcano as well as giving some interesting ideas on how to enjoy your family time in Santorini at its best.
Families should know
- It is very, very hot while you’re in the volcano. During summer the temperature could rise to 50ºC (122ºF) or even more, so DON’T FORGET to take sunscreen and lots of water
- The walk is on a volcanic path which is full of rocks, stones and dirt. Appropriate shoes are recommended
- Tickets for this tour can be bought in any travel agency which you’ll find in the main villages of Santorini
- For families with older kids we recommend the full day tour, while the half day tour is more appropriate for families with younger children The tour starts from Santorini’s port and finishes at Oia
- If you choose the full day tour make sure you take enough snacks for everyone. Most of the boats have an open bar
- We suggest not taking these tours with children less than the age of 4years as they will soon get tired and also they won’t appreciate the volcano
Best season to visit
Get inspired by our top ideas for vacation in Greece. Discover our blog full of ideas, insights about Greek destinations, reviews for kid friendly activities, hotels, beaches, museums and so much more!