When you ask locals about the best beach in Crete for kids Elafonissi is the number one choice! Get ready to encounter a white and pink sand Beaches, shallow waters and turquoise sea... Elafonissi is a paradise for the whole family.
Elafonissi beach (or Elafonissos or Elafonisi) is located in the southwest end of the prefecture of Chania, approximately 70km from the city of Chania. The easiest and fastest was is to drive or take a taxi.
What makes Elafonissi so special and a must place to visit with the family in Crete is its exotic topography and natural beauty (Elafonissi is included in the Natura 2000 Protection Program).
Specifically, Elafonissi is a long and narrow peninsula with white sandy beaches on both sides, full of white lilies and sandstones. It feels like being on a small island with a natural lagoon around it. To reach the island you have to walk through the sea which all kids love since it is like an adventure.
All kids love the untouched dunes, the little sand islets, the long stretches of fine white and pink sand (made of crushed shell powder), the little coves ideal for snorkeling, the rocks full of sea life to observe and certainly the shallow turquoise water which looks like a lagoon.
The whole area feels like a summer playground for young and old alike. We guarantee that once you reach the first turning, one thing is for sure – you and your kids will be left speechless! A truly heavenly landscape that you should definitely visit if you happen to be in southwest Crete.
When to visit
The best time to avoid the crowds of tourists is late September and October. The weather is still beautiful and the water temperature makes it pleasant to swim, snorkel and play all day long! There are many smaller and bigger beaches and islets, and to reach the other side of the lagoon you may need to wade through its waters carrying your bags on your heads. Your kids will love it!
Families should know
- In low season the boats and buses getting there are not very frequent, so bring your picnic and enough water with you as the local beach bars will probably be closed.
- Bring beach parasols and sun hats for your children as there are not many shaded spots.
- If you decide to use the boat services to see around, pay attention to the timetables. If you miss the boat, you may have trouble returning back.
- You might get annoyed by the rows of sunbeds on the east side of the beach. If you want more isolation, it is worth walking further along the beach to discover the quiet sandy corners opposite the island located within the sea.
- In summer time during the weekends Elafonissi can get really crowded. Week days are definitely less busy.
- If you decide to get to Elafonissi by car, the roads are narrow and full of turnings. The majestic landscape will certainly compensate though.
- WC… but you have to pay!
- Changing rooms
- Mini Market
- Visit: all year
Elafonissi, Chrisoskalitissa, Kissamos