Historical Museum of Crete
The Historical Museum of Crete provides the visitor with a complete picture of the glorious Cretan history from early Christian times to the modern era.
The museum is housed in a beautiful building that combines neoclassical style with modern architecture. The history of Crete unfolds throughout the centuries starting from the early Byzantine period until present day.
This historic journey starts with a model (measuring 4 x 4mts.) of Candia (Heraklion) during the Venetian period. Spotlights shine on the city’s major monuments.
Continuing the tour of the museum you’ll see the beautiful collections of Cretan ceramics and sculptures as well as the museum’s coin collection which reflects all phases of Cretan economic history.
The coexistence of Orthodox Cretans with the Venetians and Ottoman rulers is reflected in the collection of paintings from the Byzantine and Post-Byzantine period. The paintings of Domenikos Theotokopoulos (El Greco) are also included in this section.
Children can learn about the history of Crete through fun puzzles and games via use of the special ‘route for children’. In various parts of the museum there are touch screens and tablets with information about the various exhibits and collections.
Families should know
- There is private parking to the west of the museum (you have to pay for parking)
- The exhibits are presented in Greek and English
- Although the Historical Museum of Crete is very interesting for adults, it might not be so appealing to children. The ‘Guide for Children of IMK’ will definitely keep the children entertained so it is important to get a copy
- If you have questions don’t hesitate to ask the helpful and polite museum staff who are present in various rooms
- Audio guide in 4 languages: Greek, English, German and French (price 3€)
- The published ‘Guide for Children in ΙΜΚ’ is in 4 languages: Greek, English, Russian, French (Price: 1€ ). A copy of the guide in Greek can be downloaded free of charge from the museum’s website (http://www.historical-museum.gr/en/index.html)
- Coffee shop (indoor and outdoor)
- Educational programme ‘Play at the Museum’ for children in 3 languages: English, French and Russian (available only during the summer season). Price per person: 10€
- Published map of ΙΜΚ in 5 languages: Greek, English, German, French, Russian (free)
- Gift shop
- The Historical Museum of Crete hosts various exhibitions (photography, poetry, art etc). It also organises events focused on famous Greek poets, writers and painters as well as multiple other activities. For further information please visit the museum’s website (http://www.historical-museum.gr/en/index.html)
- There are educational seminars tailor made for children called ‘Play at the Museum’ that are organised exclusively during summer (June – August). In 2013 there were two sections: ‘The Bread Cycle’ (for children 5-12 years) and ‘Let’s Weave’ (for children aged 9-13 years). There must be a minimum of 5 participants for the seminar to take place. Please call in advance to make a reservation (+30 2810 283219 or +30 2810 283219, Mr. D. Mathioudakis (ext. 102), Mrs. F. Kampani (ext. 106), Monday to Friday 09.00 – 17.00)