Historical Museum of Crete
The Historical Museum of Crete is housed in a beautiful building that combines neoclassical style with modern architecture. The history of Crete unfolds throughout the centuries starting from the early Byzantine period until the present day.
This historic journey starts with a large model measuring 4 x 4 meters of Candia, the current city of Heraklion, during the Venetian period. Spotlights shine on the city’s major monuments and important historic places.
Continuing the tour of the museum you’ll see the beautiful collections of Cretan ceramics and sculptures as well as the museum’s coin collectionwhich reflects all phases of Cretan economic history.
The coexistence of Orthodox Cretans with the Venetians and Ottoman rulers is reflected in the collection of paintings from the Byzantine and Post-Byzantine period. The paintings of Greek artist Domenikos Theotokopoulos (El Greco) are also included in this section.
Children can learn about the history of Crete through fun puzzles and games via the use of the special ‘route for children’. In various parts of the museum, there are touch screens and tablets with information about the exhibits and collections.
Families should know
- There is private paid parking on the west side of the museum
- The exhibits are presented in Greek and English
- Although the Historical Museum of Crete is very interesting for adults, it might not be so appealing to children. The ‘Guide for Children of IMK’ will definitely keep the children entertained so it is important to get a copy
- If you have questions don’t hesitate to ask the helpful and polite museum staff
- For prompt information about the timetable and tickets please follow this link: www.historical-museum.gr/
Best season to visit
Get inspired by our top ideas for vacation in Greece. Discover our blog full of ideas, insights about Greek destinations, reviews for kid friendly activities, hotels, beaches, museums and so much more!