The Palace of Knossos for families
It was one of the most advanced cities of ancient Greece and the centre of the famous Minoan civilization. The first settlement at Knossos dates back to the Neolithic Age, around 7,000BC. The palace of Knossos was the heart of the city of Knossos and throne to the legendary King Minos, son of Zeus and Europe. This brilliant palace was designed by the legendary architect Daedalus. It was a multi-storey building covering approximately 20,000m2.
Knossos plays an important role in Greek mythology and is connected with great legends such as the story of Daedalus and Icarus, the fearsome Minotaur, and the love story of Theseus and Ariadne.
If you want to make the most out for your family visit to the Palace of Knossos, we recommend one of our family-friendly Palace of Knossos tours. Kid expert guides will keep your kids engaged and focused. With the use of our 3D virtual reality devices we will stimulate their imagination and help them visualize how the Palace of Knossos used to look like thousands of years ago.
Before you plan your visit to Knossos, we suggest you have a look at these Kids Love Knossos myths and stories. Your kids will love them!
Families should know
- Bring water, a hat and sunscreen before entering the archaeological site
- During the summer months, it gets very hot inside and there is not much shade
- If you visit during summer, try to avoid the midday hours (12.00 – 16.00) due to high temperatures
- Avoid the weekends as it can be crowded
- During the summer, there are long queues at the ticket counters. We suggest arriving relatively early in the morning
- Parts of the Palace have been restored and are replica’s
- Do not expect to see the maze as it is just part of the myth of Knossos
- In some parts of the palace, there are stairs, which makes access for strollers a bit challenging.
- Food is not allowed inside the archaeological site
- For prompt information about the timetable and tickets please follow this link: http://odysseus.culture.gr
Best season to visit
Get inspired by our top ideas for vacation in Greece. Discover our blog full of ideas, insights about Greek destinations, reviews for kid friendly activities, hotels, beaches, museums and so much more!