If you are near Heraklion, we strongly recommend that you don’t miss out on visiting the palace of Knossos. Knossos was one of the most advanced cities of ancient Greece and the centre of the famous Minoan civilization. The first settlement at Knossos dates back to the Neolithic Age, around 7,000BC.
The palace of Knossos was the heart of the city of Knossos and throne to the legendary King Minos, son of Zeus and Europe. This brilliant palace was designed by the legendary architect Daedalus. It was a multi-storey building covering approximately 20,000 sqm.
Knossos is connected with great legends such as the story of Daedalus and Icarus, the fearsome Minotaur, and the love story of Theseus and Ariadne.
Our family friendly guide will keep your kids engaged and focused and the use of the 3D Virtual reality devices that we will provide will stimulate their imagination and help them visualize how the Palace of Knossos used to look like thousands of years ago.
For the Percy Jackson fans, we do offer the Mythology Tours inspired by Percy Jackson.
Before you plan your visit to Knossos, we suggest you have a look at these myths. They might prove fascinating for your kids. Kids Love Knossos is the best way to do it!
…Knossos Palace is a pleasant travel back in time, don’t miss it out.
Families should know
- We recommend you buy some water before entering the archaeological site.
- Do not forget your hat and sunscreen, especially during the summer months when the sun is quite intense and shade is scarce.
- If you visit the area in summer, it would be good to avoid the midday hours (12.00 – 16.00) due to high temperatures.
- Avoid the weekends as it can be crowded.
- During the summer months there are usually long queues at the ticket counters. We suggest arriving relatively early in the morning.
- Unfortunately, for the restoration of the palace, cement has been used in several places.
- Do not expect to see the maze as it is just part of the myth of Knossos.
- In some parts of the palace there are stairs, which makes access for strollers a bit challenging.
- Eating is not allowed inside the archaeological site.
Kids will love
- The myth of Ariadne, Theseus and the Minotaur
- The throne of the legendary King Minos
Parents will love
- The atmosphere of the place
- Its colourful frescoes
Best season to visit
6€ per person
10€ per person (includes visit to the Archaeological Museum of Heraklion and Knossos Palace)
Share on Social Media