Perissa is a tiny village situated on eastern coast of Thira, just a 20 minutes bus ride from Fira, the capital city.
Here you can spend some quality family time away from the hustle and bustle of hundreds of other holidaymakers.
Perissa has a lot of hotels so if you’d like to stay for a night or two just go ahead and book a family room. Prices are more affordable than in Fira and Oia. Also, while you’re in Perissa don’t forget to try a traditional souvlaki pita washed down with a refreshing beer at Pepito’s place, which is very well known.
Last but not least, the view of the black sandy beach and the Mediterranean Sea with Mount “Mesa Vouno” in the background is simply spectacular!
Families should know
- Black sand is really hot for your feet so keep your sandals on when you walk on the beach
- There are a lot of sun beds and umbrellas that are free of charge providing you buy a drink or snack at the café/bar/restaurant/hotel to where they belong
- Be careful when you go in the sea as there may be rocks under your first few steps
- There are a lot of bars and restaurants on the promenade along the beach and one thing for sure is that there are lots of fresh and local dishes for you to try!
Kids will love
- The relaxed atmosphere compared to overcrowded Fira and Oia
- To swim in the calm, warm water of Aegean Sea
Parents will love
- To make your first black sandcastle!
- The kids recreational park on the beach
Best season to visit
Get inspired by our top ideas for vacation in Greece. Discover our blog full of ideas, insights about Greek destinations, reviews for kid friendly activities, hotels, beaches, museums and so much more!