Heraklion Walk & Taste
Heraklion, the Cretan capital, is considered to be the most vibrant city in Crete. Join the Heraklion Tasting and Sights Family Food Tour and get to know the city as it is now, but also how it used to be centuries ago, while under the Byzantine, Arab, Venetian, Turk, and pirate (yes, pirates!) dominance.
The Heraklion family walking tour starts from the “Freedom Square” aka Eleftherias Square, and continues through lesser-known streets and neighbourhoods. During this tour, you will be treated to a freshly brewed traditional Greek coffee and as you stroll through the local market, you will sample local products such as barley rusks (paximadia), olives and cheese, and chat with local shop owners.
From there, our family friendly guide will take you “back in time” with a walk atop Heraklion’s great Venetian wall fortifications for some of the best view of the city. Make sure you have your camera and capture how these walls divide the old city from the new city. You will then visit the lonesome tomb and monument of Nikos Kazantzakis, the author of Zorba the Greek, and discover what inspired him to write this book.
Moving on, we’ll walk along the pedestrian street, 25 August, admiring some of Heraklion’s major highlights, like St. Titus Cathedral and the Morosini Fountain in the heart of the city.
After our morning exploration, our Heraklion walking tour will end at a local favorite – a meze taverna – where you’ll dig in to a meze platter and sip local specialties like raki, the island’s famous (and strong) distilled spirit.
Highlight for kids:
Through our tour we visit a state of the art interactive venue where the children will learn through technological breakthroughs the local history and tales!
While in Heraklion do not miss the opportunity to book a Private Family friendly Guided Tour to Knossos , an amazing experience for the whole family. Our application Kids Love Knossos is the ideal way to introduce your kids to the legends and myths of the great minoan civilization.
Families should know
- The duration is 4 hours
- The meeting point is Eleftherias Square, in the city centre and the ending point is the Venetian port of Heraklion
- Local English-speaking family friendly guide, food and beverage samples as indicated in the itinerary, rusks, olives and cheese, coffee or soft drink, a meze platter are included
- What is not included: Additional food and drink, items of a personal nature, gratuities for your local guide
- As this is a walking tour, please wear comfortable walking shoes
- During summer, don’t forget your sunglasses and a camera, of course, as Heraklion is sure to amaze you!
- This is a small group of a maximum of 12 people
- The guide will point out places of interest, such as museums, and make recommendations of places that participants can visit in their own time after the tour
Kids will love
- Diving into Heraklion’s history with stories of its turbulent past and figure out who is who from our booklet – that is offered free to all children
- The local sweets
Parents will love
- Diving into Heraklion’s history with stories of its turbulent past and visits to its legendary monuments and fountains
- Sampling local products at a local market
- Indulge in local mezeplatter (tapas style) and try the local tsikoudia (grappa style drink)
Best season to visit
Get inspired by our top ideas for vacation in Greece. Discover our blog full of ideas, insights about Greek destinations, reviews for kid friendly activities, hotels, beaches, museums and so much more!