Family friendly Tour to Delphi Archaeological Site
Delphi, located on the beautiful foothills of Mount Parnassos, was the place of the famous oracle of the ancient Greek world. Join our Family-friendly Tour to Delphi Archaeological Site and be introduced to the history of one of the most significant archaeological sites of all antiquity. The ancient Greeks considered this place to be the navel of the earth. You will see monuments such as the Athenian Treasury, the Theatre, the Temple of Apollo, the Navel of the Earth, the Sacred Way, the Apollo Temple and many more!
In the Delphi Archaeological Museum, your family can admire unique treasures such as the world-famous bronze Charioteer, the Naxian Sphinx and the Statue of Antinous and other masterpieces of classical Greek art.
The sanctuary of Delphi was at its peak during the 8th century BC. During that period, the citizens of most Greek cities would travel to Delphi and consult the oracle when they needed to take an important decision.
Immerse yourself in the history of this unique place and travel back in time; Cool off at the Kastalia spring and follow the Holy Route to the Temple of Apollo to consult the oracle of Pytheia. Then, head north to visit the ancient theatre. Imagine music from the ancient concerts here, climb to the highest spot in the ancient Stadium and think of the athletic contests that took place back then.
After your family-friendly Tour to Delphi Archaeological Site and its museum, there are two options: you can travel back to Athens or, visit Galaxidi, the picturesque seaside village nearby.
The family-friendly Tour to Delphi Archaeological Site lasts between 90 -120 minutes, and can be combined with our new guiding tool. With the help of tablets and animation, your family can visualize the amazing architecture of the site and experience an unforgettable journey back in time!
Other day trips we are offering to Delphi are the Percy Jackson trips to Delphi (small group Percy Jackson tour or private Percy Jackson tour to Delphi) as well as the Off-the-Beaten Track trip to Delphi.
If you are interested in a similar family-friendly Day Trip from Athens, then we recommend our Athens to Argolis Family Day Trip – 1 Day Road Trip. This trip combines the famous Corinth Canal and a visit to ancient Mycenae (home of the legendary Agamemnon) with romantic Nafplio and the ancient theatre of Epidaurus.
Families should know
- This is a full da trip. It is around 2 hours drive each way from Athens
- Buy water before you enter the site
- Bring a hat and sun cream. Especially during summer months, the sun is very hot and there are only a few shady spots
- If you visit in summer, it is best to avoid the site around noon
- It is recommended that you visit Delphi during the week rather than the weekend
- In summer, there is often a long queue at the ticket office. Start your visit early in the morning to avoid the long queues
- Wear sports shoes in the outside archaeological area
- The site is not stroller friendly. Following a request, the north gate of the Ancient Theatre can be opened to allow a basic view of the site
- Consumption of food is not allowed
- For guided tours, you need to arrange for a private guide before your visit. There are no guides at the museum or at the archaeological site. Kids Love Greece can arrange that for you
- There is a ramp and elevator at the museum, but not at the archaeological site
Kids will love
- The Delphi Oracle ruins
- The huge bronze statue of Iniohos
- The story behind Delphi’s role as the belly button of the earth
Parents will love
- The energy in Delphi. It can be felt everywhere
- The amazing scenery and views
- The thrill of walking down the ancient route of Kirras – Delphi
Best season to visit
Get inspired by our top ideas for vacation in Greece. Discover our blog full of ideas, insights about Greek destinations, reviews for kid friendly activities, hotels, beaches, museums and so much more!