Attica Zoo Park
Before you start, pick up a map at the park entrance, it will help you to navigate during your tour in this stretched out animal park. Attica Zoo Park is a unique place with a collection of animals from all over the world and some endemic to Greece.
Attica Zoo Park has more than 350 animal species, and half of these species are endangered. There are exotic animals and one section of the park is dedicated to Greek fauna, where the brown bear is the stand-out attraction.
Bird lovers will enjoy the large variety of birds species. In the past, Attica Zoo Park was designed as an ornithological park and that is why it hosts the third biggest bird collection in the world.
Giraffes, zebras, antelopes, pink flamingos, jaguars, penguins, hippos, rhinos, camels, Asian Elephants … all these incredible animals are waiting for you. Do not miss the Komodo dragons and the anteaters. Attica Zoo Park also hosts playful sea elephants.
But there is more to do in the Athens Zoo. The petting farm with its bunnies and goats is great for young kids. There is a large wooden playground near the farm and the turtle pond. Don’t forget to pay a visit to the educational center. There are many interesting objects that kids can touch such as a dried snake skin, animal bones and feathers. They can also play educational games or do crafts.
Families should know
- On beautiful Sundays, the zoo gets crowded and lines are long during peak hours (11am- 2pm) Schedule your arrival a bit earlier or later and pre-buy your tickets on-line
- There is not much shade at the park other than the cafeteria, the picnic area and the indoor spaces. Avoid visiting the park around noon, especially in the summer
- The animals are more active in the early morning or late afternoon
- Bring hats and sun cream, especially on hot summer days
- There are facilities for disabled people at the park
- The ZooCafe sells snacks and a variety of lunch options
- For prompt information about the timetable and tickets please follow this link: Attica Zoological Park
Best season to visit
Get inspired by our top ideas for vacation in Greece. Discover our blog full of ideas, insights about Greek destinations, reviews for kid friendly activities, hotels, beaches, museums and so much more!