Join our Half Day Meteora Family Tour and explore the secret corners of this magical place. Under the guidance of our specialised and local guides, you will visit two of main monasteries of Meteora. And of course you will listen to the fascinated stories about the first monks who decided to build the monasteries on the steep cliffs of Meteora. Your local guides will show you to the best view spots to take memorable pictures.
This is a morning tour and it lasts 4 hours. Each group has a maximum capacity of 12 pax , while you will use a private bus for your transfer.
Please note that the Half Day Meteora Family Tour includes various stops for walking at a moderate pace. Do not forget to have your camera ready, as all the spots offer panoramic view for photo shooting. Take your best selfies while learning all about the local traditions, the myths and the history of the area.
During the half day tour you will visit:
- Two monasteries, usually Great Meteoron, St. Stephen’s, Roussanou or Varlaam, depending on the days and which monasteries are open.
2. The Theopetra prehistoric cave, where the prehistoric people of Thessaly lived
The monasteries in Meteora have a strict dress code; men should wear trousers and long sleeves, women must wear a long skirt. If you do turn up in shorts trousers and shirts, certain clothes will be provided at the entrance of the menasteries. Women can wear anything and there will be also some long skirts provided at the entrance.
Other relevant tours in Meteora
None of these tours overlap; it is recommended to see Meteora in the early morning (and maybe combine it with an outdoor activity such as hiking) or at sunset when light and shadow transform the area from real to mystical.
Families should know
- Note that every Monday the prehistoric cave of Theopetra is closed. In that case, this guided tour visits three monasteries
- Semi-independent tour
- Transportation by air-conditioned mini bus with free WiFi on board
- Price excludes: entrance fees €3 per person at each monastery and €3 per person to the cave of Theopetra
- Wear closed toed shoes. Not necessary but recommended. There will be some short walks but it is not a hike
- Children under the age of 12 must be accompanied by an adult
- Pick up and drop off from your Hotel in Kalampaka town or Kastraki village
Kids will love
- Listening to the stories about the first monks who decided to move to Meteora
- Experience how it feels like to get inside a prehistoric cave
Parents will love
Relaxed but really insightful tour focusing on hidden gems
Best season to visit
Share on Social Media