The walk begins at the beachfront with the blue sea and the islet of Dia in the background. Your next stop will be the Venetian harbour with the famous fortress of Koules. Walk up the '25th of August' pedestrian street until you see the open central market.
Heraklion was built with its back facing the sea for purely historical reasons. However, now that Heraklion is done with pirates, conquistadors and cannons, the city has begun to discover its lost seafront.
Construction work in recent years has given the city many miles of seafront road. You can take a stroll or a bike ride with your kids and enjoy this coastal city with its calming waves and peaceful sea breezes.
If you are looking for more peaceful scenery, walk along the promenade, starting at the fortress of Koules, to the far end (the Heraklion bypass road). Escape from the stresses of the city and feel part of the Cretan seascape.
The pedestrian road of the 25th of August connects the old port and the city centre. It is bordered by beautiful neoclassical buildings (mainly from the Venetian era). Among them are Aghios Titos (Saint Titus), Loggia (Logia) and Vasiliki tou Aghiou Markou (Basilica of Saint Mark) which today houses the Municipal Gallery. You can literally walk among living history!
The final stop of this beautiful walk is the open air central market of Heraklion at 1866 road. At the market you can buy all sorts of little trinkets such as delicious Cretan graviera (cheese), honey scented with thyme and small bunches of dictamnus and aromatic sage.
Families should know
- School-aged children may find the walk very tiring. Be prepared that you might need to make numerous stops
- Be very careful with your children when you cross any city roads. Most drivers do not prioritise pedestrians
- Do not forget to take hats, sunscreen, and water for your children
- The beachfront walk is not entirely suitable for strollers as there are some parts of it where access is difficult
- On hot days, avoid walking at noon. The intense heat (and lack of shade) will make it a difficult family experience
- The walk will take you on average 1.5 hrs (without any stops)
- Rent high quality baby & toddler travel gear such as car seats, strollers, baby carriers, trikes, booster seats through our partner My Baby in Greece for stress-free & fun family activities in Greece
Check availability and prices
- Visit: all year