The view from Mount Lycabettus during the afternoon is not to be missed, with its 360 degree panorama of Athens. Take the cable car from Ploutarchou street and in 13 minutes you will be ready to enjoy an unforgettable experience!
According to mythology, Mount Lycabettus was a rock carried by the goddess Athena that slipped from her hand when a crow gave her a message of bad news. Others believe that the name of the mountain comes from the word for wolf, as herds of wolves used to live there…No matter which story you choose to believe, one thing is certain: it is definitely worth paying a visit to this place.
The most relaxing way to ascend is by the cable car located at the end of Ploutarchou and Aristippou street. The cable car journey only lasts 13 minutes and takes you to the top of the hill. From there, you can enjoy the endless view of Athens as far as the port of Piraeus.
In between the blocks of flats, you can distinguish Acropolis, Herodion and Kallimarmaro (where the modern Olympic Games were born). For those eager to see more, there is also a telescope that guarantees a view as far the island of Aigina, if weather conditions permit.
The best time to visit Mount Lycabettus is during the afternoon. If you stay for the sunset, this place will certainly enchant you.
Families should know
- Avoid visiting Mount Lycabettus during the morning and noon, especially in the summer
- The cable car does not have air conditioning so it is advised to avoid it when it is hot
- Supply yourselves with water, sandwiches and juice. There is a cafeteria and a restaurant at the top but prices are a bit expensive
- Do not attempt to climb the hill with your children as the route will be tiring for them. For the more adventurous, take the cable car on the way up and walk down
- The cable car often gets full and you might need to squeeze in
- The restaurant Orizons at the top of the hill does not have sun shades in the garden
- The price of the cable car includes ascent and descent and it runs every 30 minutes
- Rent high quality baby & toddler travel gear such as car seats, strollers, baby carriers, trikes, booster seats through our partner My Baby in Greece for stress-free & fun family activities in Greece