Goulandris Natural History Museum
Goulandris Natural History Museum is located in the green elegant suburb of Kifissia and is home to zoological, botanical, marine, rock, mineral and fossil specimens. A visit to this museum is a great opportunity for children to come into contact with the animal and plant kingdoms and understand the interaction of ecosystems in Greece and the rest of the world.
The initial initiative to create the private collection of the museum was to raise the awareness of the public and to call its attention to protect Greece’s natural wildlife habitats and species against extinction.
The museum includes large collections of insects, mammals, birds, reptiles, shells, rocks, minerals and fossils, from the wildlife of the Greek territory. The botanical collections number over 200.000 species of plants, among which there are 145 newly discovered ones.
Some of the most important exhibits of the museum are the Zoology Room, the Palaeontology Room and the display of marine biology reflected in a huge collection of shells. Kids will be impressed by the large mammals such as the giraffe, white rhino and zebra.
The exhibition at the Gaia Centre demonstrates the way planet Earth has been functioning for millions of years and how it functions today, with the interventions of modern people. At the entrance, as well as all along with the exhibition, the ancient goddess Gaia is presented offering her helping hand to humans. The Gaia exhibition is conceived and implemented together with the London Museum of Natural History.
The museum has two café-bar-restaurants of which one in the beautiful museum garden. A safe and comfortable place to have a coffee or a meal with kids.
The Museum Shop – as well as the Shop of GAIA Centre – sells publications, high-quality and tasteful art object, scientific books, porcelains, jewellery and gifts. Among them, special minerals and rocks, and hand made forms of sea and land animals of ceramic, wood or stone.
Families should know
- It is forbidden to touch the exhibits in the museum
- All the exhibits of the museum have captions in English
- It is very difficult to park on the street at the museum but there is a paid parking nearby
- The museum is close to Kifissia train station
- For prompt information about the timetable and tickets please follow this link: www.gnhm.gr
- Rent high-quality baby & toddler travel gear such as car seats, strollers and baby carriers through Baby Traveller, the new family service provider in Greece
Kids will love
- The Triceratops measuring 7.16 meters
- The impressive giraffe
- The collection of fossils
Parents will love
- The exhibition in the Gaia Centre
- A relaxing lunch in the museum garden
- The beautiful museum shop
Best season to visit