To begin with, the Ferryman is one of the most famous tavernas in Elounda – even the BBC has made a documentary about it.
All dishes have the signature of the reputable chef Gianni Mpaxevani who has raised the bar to new heights by transforming every dish to a gourmet experience. The flavors have surpassed the ordinary as he has added his unique artistic culinary flair to traditional recipes. Even the bread is not just a simple affair as it is freshly baked daily using ingredients including locust bean (carob), also known as St. John’s Bread.
If you go near the kitchen you will be overwhelmed by the aroma of the seasonal fresh greens, herbs and spices. Needless to say that all the vegetables are grown organically in the family fields, and all the raw ingredients are always local, fresh, and of exceptional quality.
The service is always friendly and polite and the owner, Aki, is always centre stage with his warm personality and frankness. This is not to forget to mention the beautiful view of Elounda’s bay with the boats which come and go incessantly.
- Tavern - Restaurant
Families should know
- The taverna is a little small
- If you want a table on the pier/waterfront make sure you make a reservation in good time ahead
- Elounda’s most expensive taverna but worth the money spent
- Rent high quality baby & toddler equipment such as booster seats and strollers through our partner My Baby in Greece for stress-free and enjoyable family meals in Greece
Kids will love
- The warm welcome
- The desserts
Parents will love
- The creativity of the Chef
- The views of the picturesque harbour of Elounda
Best season to visit
Get inspired by our top ideas for vacation in Greece. Discover our blog full of ideas, insights about Greek destinations, reviews for kid friendly activities, hotels, beaches, museums and so much more!