The Ultimate Self-Drive Tour of Greek Mythology for Families: 5 days itinerary
- What is included
- Why book with us
Are you looking for a stress-free one-of-a-kind road trip with your family? We cannot recommend enough our newly launched “The Ultimate Self-Drive Tour of Greek Mythology for Families: 5 Days itinerary”.
Start and finish from Athens and visit with your family Epidaurus, Nafplio, Mycenae, Olympia, Delphi, Galaxidi, Meteora, and Pindos.
How does it work?
Step 1: We will deliver the car to you (either airport, port or accommodation)
Step 2: Download our travel app on your electronic device (either smartphone or tablet) and find the predefined family-friendly self-drive itinerary
Step 3: Enjoy your self-drive vacation with your family
Why choose our organized self-drive multiday tours for your family?
We take care of all the hassles of independent self-drive vacation planning! We book your car rental and accommodation as well as carefully design your family-friendly driving itinerary day by day – all found in our Travel App.
Our local experts will offer professional support if you need advice or assistance throughout your journey.
• Car rental* category D for 5 days (including Unlimited Mileage, Third Party Cover, Collision Damage Cover, Vehicle Theft Cover, Airport surcharge, Local Taxes)
• 4-night accommodation at traditional guesthouses** (4 stars)
• Four traditional Greek breakfasts
• Our customized Trip Travel App which includes a thematic detailed itinerary & navigation, enriched content, audio storytelling & advice from a top-rated guide at each location, optional stops, local tips & points of interest, suggestions for tours, audio-guided tours & activities, as well as restaurant recommendations in each area
*The rates are for the car is based on 4 people
** Pricing includes one double room per 2 people, one triple room per 3 people, and one quadruple room per 4 people. In case your group has different requirements, we can customize your trip accordingly.
• The Ultimate Self-drive Tour of Greek Mythology for Families: 5 days itinerary is a fantastic way to experience Greek culture with your family at your own pace. Self-drive is a convenient and independent way of traveling.
• We organize a wonderful trip for your family to meet and explore aspects of Greek life in places and ancient sites of incomparable beauty.
• Self-driving provides you with all the freedom and independence of traveling without a tour guide, but at the same time, you don’t have to worry about the schedule as everything is at your own pace.
• We provide a full schedule of this 5-day vacation and a range of activities for you and your kids to select from.
• At every stop, you have recommended activities, and everything you need to know is planned for you beforehand.
The Ultimate Self-Drive Tour of Greek Mythology for Families: 5 Days Itinerary
- Day 1 Self Drive Tour for Families: Epidaurus, Nafplio, Mycenae, and Olympia
- Day 2 Self Drive Tour for Families: Olympia and Galaxidi
- Day 3 Self Drive Tour for Families: Delphi and Meteora
- Day 4 Self Drive Tour for Families: Meteora
- Day 5 Self Drive Tour for Families: Pindos and Athens
Day 1 Self Drive Tour for Families: Nafplio, Mycenae, and Olympia
Your road trip starts from Athens. You will pick a car from an arranged location. Your first stop is the breathtaking Corinth Canal, a narrow man-made canal that turned the Peloponnese peninsula into an island.
Next, you will continue to Epidaurus, the most well-preserved ancient theater of Greece, with its fantastic acoustics.
Afterward, you will visit the glorious ancient city of Mycenae, which Homer describes in his epics. Myths and heroes were born there and made Mycenae a great part of Greek history. It is a well-preserved UNESCO World Heritage Site as the capital of one of the oldest civilizations.
Nafplio is the next stop. This romantic small city will leave you speechless with the Venetian buildings and fortifications along with its magical seafront. Nafplio was the first capital of modern Greece before Athens took its place.
You will continue driving through the stunning Peloponnesian countryside, and your first day will end in ancient Olympia. While in Olympia, we encourage you to follow our Travel App recommendations on how to spend your free time there.
Overnight: In Olympia, in a beautiful guest house.
Day 2 Self Drive Tour for Families: Olympia and Galaxidi
After a traditional Greek breakfast in the guest house, the second day starts with the drive to the magnificent ancient site and museum of Olympia. The Olympic Games started there and got their name from this magnificent place. Olympia was once considered to be the main athletic, religious and political center of ancient Greece.
In Olympia, we recommend that you visit a lovely honey farm or try to be an archaeologist for the day by taking part in an archaeological excavation simulation! Kids love both activities!
After lunch, you will have the chance to drive through the longest fully-suspended bridge of the world, Rio-Antirio, and have a coffee at a beautiful medieval harbor.
Then, you will follow one of the most breathtaking coastal roads in Greece to reach your last stop of the day, the picturesque seaside village of Galaxidi.
Overnight: In Galaxidi, in a lovely, family-run guesthouse.
Day 3 Self Drive Tour for Families: Delphi and Meteora
After a delicious homemade breakfast, and before you hit the next stop, we recommend that you enjoy the sea in Galaxidi and swim in the crystal clear blue waters.
Your next stop is the ancient site and museum of Delphi. There, you can choose to have a guided tour to explore the ancient site, where the oracle of the world was located. You will also learn about the mystical monument of Kastalia spring waters.
After Delphi, a traditional Greek lunch is waiting for you and your family in a beautiful, abandoned Greek village. Your lunch will be served under century-old plane trees! To find this extraordinary village you will drive through mountains, valleys, and charming villages.
The day ends at Meteora, where you can have an evening walk and enjoy dinner.
Day 4 Self Drive Tour for Families: Meteora
After breakfast, get ready to explore Meteora. Meteora is a unique rock formation that looks like towering sandstone columns formed millions of years ago. On the top of those formations, you will find precipitously built complexes of Eastern Orthodox monasteries. Even nowadays, the monasteries are operational and are visited by people who want to pray and enjoy this spectacular view. You will be able to walk and drive around Meteora. You will also have the chance to visit a 130,000 years old prehistoric cave.
Our next stop is the town of Kalambaka, where you have three options in terms of activities. You can either visit the Grek Education Museum and learn about the local culture, or take a mini-course of the Greek language, or attend a Byzantine art workshop with a local artist!
For lunch, you either visit a village nearby and have lunch there or visit one of the local wineries.
Do not forget your camera as the sunset is breathatking.
Day 5 Self Drive Tour for Families: Pindos and Athens
This is the last day of your self-drive trip. Expect a long but very exciting day as you drive through the wild mountain range of Pindos! You will explore hidden mountains and villages known only by locals.. Do not miss the Forest of the White River!
There is also a secret route that leads you to one of the most scenic, yet rarely visited, monasteries with thirteen domes.
Next, you will visit a place where three rivers meet, where you are welcome to swim.
Your last stop will be a remarkable and old stone bridge, the perfect spot for family photos. Lunch will be served in a middle-earth fantasy tree tavern before you head back to Athens.
Contact us today and find out more about our different itineraries for our organized self-drive vacation tours for families.
Best season to visit
Get inspired by our top ideas for vacation in Greece. Discover our blog full of ideas, insights about Greek destinations, reviews for kid friendly activities, hotels, beaches, museums and so much more!