Family Visit to a Cretan Bee Garden
Visit a traditional Cretan bee-garden and learn all the secrets of this famous local product firsthand. Together with a specialized insider guide, you will drive to a beautiful apiary, situated right at the foothills of the White Mountains.
An experienced beekeeper will welcome you and your family and provide you with the necessary protective hats. As soon as you are all suited up, he will accompany you to the bee hives and explain to you and your kids how a bee hive functions and what are the different stages of honey making.
Especially during springtime, the area is blossoming with thyme and other flowering herbs, which as you will discover, are the main ingredients of the savoury Cretan honey. Don’t miss the chance to pick some aromatic herbs while listening to the buzzing sounds of the bees. Try to spot the queen bee and then sample some honey directly from the beehive! Your family visit to the bee garden will end with a light traditional lunch at the beekeeper’s house, where you will enjoy various local dishes accompanied by Cretan raki and of course delicious honey deserts
Families should know
- All necessary equipment (protective hats) is provided
- Lunch and honey tasting is included in the price
- Best time to enjoy this activity is at springtime or early summer
- Duration: 2-3 hours
Kids will love
- Learning about the complicated bee culture
- Tasting delicious honey
- Playing at the countryside
Parents will love
- A fun educational experience with the kids
- A day in the lovely Cretan countryside
- Tasting authentic Cretan products and delicious dishes
Best season to visit
Get inspired by our top ideas for vacation in Greece. Discover our blog full of ideas, insights about Greek destinations, reviews for kid friendly activities, hotels, beaches, museums and so much more!