ARCHELON – The Sea Turtle Protection Society
In addition to its important role in rescuing injured or sick sea turtles, ARCHELON’s Rescue Centre aims to create environmental consciousness, especially to kids.
Families interested to visit the Centre can attend the 45-min long educational “Sea Turtle Rescue Tour”. They will learn about sea turtles in the Mediterranean, their biology, their migration routes, feeding habits and reproduction patterns. They will see for themselves the threats to their survival from plastic in the sea and other types of sea pollution, from entanglement in fishermen nets, from the irresponsible behavior of humans. It is important to know that on less than 100 km of sandy beaches in Greece, one finds about 50% of the loggerhead sea turtle nests in the whole Mediterranean. Therefore, it is crucial to safeguard those beaches.
Kids will see the impressive impact of ARCHELON volunteers in saving sea turtles at the Rescue Centre and releasing them back to the sea when they are healthy again.
The “Sea Turtle Rescue Tour” is available with a donation of 50€ for a group of 1-8 people (kids under 4 are not accounted for). The donation will cover the food and medicine costs of one sea turtle in the Centre for 10 days. Kids can see the turtle they have “adopted” and a certificate will be issued. Booking in advance is required at www.archelon.simplybook.it
ARCHELON runs conservation volunteerprojects on the main loggerhead nesting beaches of Greece. A few families every yearcan actively participate in those projects by helping the teamsof volunteers inthe Peloponnese (Lakonikos Bay, Koroni) and Crete (Rethymno, Chania) from June to September. Kids participating in the project must be between 8-18 years old. Find out more about ARCHELON’s family volunteering projects HERE.
A Day in the Athens Riviera
A visit to Archelon can be part of your Athens Riviera family day trip from Athens with Kids Love Greece. The Athens Riviera is full of treasures, and we combined them for you. Besides Archelon, your family will love visiting the nearby Lake Vouliagmeni, a unique natural phenomenon with mysterious caves and cute fish. The Athens Riviera family day trip also includes a visit to the majestic Temple of Poseidon at Cape Sounio. Kids will love the myths of the ruins at the ancient while parents will enjoy the sunset at this Southernmost tip of the Attica peninsula.Check availability
Families should know
- Call in advance to attend an organized presentation
- The centre is not suitable for babies or very young children
- The toilets do not have changing mats for babies
- Kids cannot be left unattended
- Kids are not allowed to touch the animals, and they must stay calm and be receptive to guided tours (especially during the busy summer months)
- There is no organize cafeteria. It is advised to bring your own snacks
- For prompt information about the timetable and tickets please follow this link: www.archelon.gr
- Rent high quality baby & toddler travel gear such as car seats, strollers and baby carriers through Baby Traveller, the new family service provider in Greece
Kids will love
- The easy access to the tanks and proximity to the animals
- The collection of turtle souvenirs
Parents will love
- The simple but effective facilities
- The gift shop
Best season to visit
Get inspired by our top ideas for vacation in Greece. Discover our blog full of ideas, insights about Greek destinations, reviews for kid friendly activities, hotels, beaches, museums and so much more!