In addition to its important role in caring for sea turtles, Archelon also serves to awaken environmental consciousness in all visitors, most importantly the younger visitors.
The Protection Centre educates visitors about the marine biology of turtles, their feeding habits and reproduction patterns. It is important to know that of the three species of sea turtles found in Greece, Caretta caretta hatches exclusively on the coast of Greece. Therefore it is crucial to safeguard these shores.
There is no doubt that children will be impressed by the wealth of knowledge, but most importantly by the fact that they will be able to be actively involved in marine turtle conservation. Children are given the option of adopting a baby turtle and becoming members of the TURTLE network.
Families should know
- Call in advance if you would like to attend the organised presentation
- For those visiting the centre with babies or very young children, you should know that the centre is housed in five railway carriages. It is by no means a luxurious environment compared to some of the museums in the city
- The toilets do not have changing mats for babies
- Do not leave your children unattended as there is risk of injury. Children are not allowed to touch the animals in the tanks and should try to stay calm and receptive to guided tours (especially during the summer months when the centre gets busy)
- There is no organised cafeteria for drinks and snacks. It is advisable to bring your own snacks
- Rent high quality baby & toddler travel gear such as car seats, strollers, baby carriers, trikes, booster seats through our partner My Baby in Greece for stress-free & fun family activities in Greece
Kids will love
- The easy access to the tanks and proximity to the animals
- The collection of turtle t-shirts
Parents will love
- The simple but effective facilities
- The gift shop, as well as its small range of products, offers food for thought in terms of ecological awareness
Best season to visit
Organised presentation: 3€ per person
Share on Social Media