You’ve probably heard a lot about the Mycenaean civilization. Along with the Minoan civilization, it ranks among the greatest civilizations of Europe. While you’re in Athens, don’t miss the opportunity to visit the ancient site of mythical Argolis.
Mycenae may be roughly 140 kilometers away from the capital, but it’s certainly worth the trek. You’ll be in great company with our recommended tour guides experienced in families. They specialize in custom tours that are tailored to your interests and are a world apart from the tour guides you’re used to.
The moment you arrive at the Mycenae archaeological site, you’ll be blown away by the magnificent Lion Gate and its enormous relief sculpture. The waiting line for selfies here is long – be patient.
The rest of the site really shows off the impressive architecture of the Mycenaeans. Trust us – your children will be captivated with every step of the tour, which is specially designed for youngsters, and entertaining for everyone.
After you leave the archaeological site, you head to a ceramics workshop. Here, your personal guide takes over once more to show your children the world of pottery in a fun and informative way.
The tour closes with a visit to the nearby city of Nafplion. Many consider it to be one of the most romantic cities in the entire country. Our partners will show you the beautiful highlights of the city. Enjoy a leisurely stroll through the old alleyways, and explore every hidden corner of Nafplion.
Families should know
- Wear comfortable shoes, as the archaeological site can get very slippery
- The trip lasts about 9 hours
- You’ll want to avoid taking this trip when the weather is extremely hot (for example, in the middle of summer)
- The tour is available in English and Greek
- Children under 12 can participate in the tour for free
- The trip includes a visit to the museum inside the archaeological site of Mycenae
Kids will love
- The Cyclopean masonry
- The gold mask of Agamemnon
- Stopping for ice cream in Nafplion
Parents will love
- Mosaic murals
- The Lion Gate at the entrance of Mycenae
- The atmosphere of Nafplion
Best season to visit
Share on Social Media