The Olympic Games Workout is as Family Olympics activity in Athens, ideal for people who want to make the most of their time in this historical Greek city. Starting at 8.30 in the morning so as to avoid the heat of the day, we meet at the Zappeion, a beautiful neoclassical building near the National Garden Botanical gardens in central Athens.
Here, your sports trainer/guide will describe how important the Olympics were to Ancient Greek society, and even how wars were cancelled so the games could take place! You will have the opportunity to learn how the athletes used to live and train, which were the most popular ancient Olympic sports, and how the Modern Olympics took its inspiration and was born again in Athens.
Moving on from the Zappeion, you can then visit an historic gymnasium nearby. This is where things get exciting, especially for the kids! You will have the chance to learn the techniques involved in correctly holding and throwing the discus and javelin. You can also try the high jump as well the shot put. Which one of your family will be able to throw the furthest?
Finally, it is time to move on to the Panathenaic Stadium also known as ‘Kallimarmaro’. This hugely inspiring venue held some of the events of the first modern Olympic games over 100 years ago. Now though, it can hold the final event of your very own Family Olympics as you prepare to race around its track. With such incredible surroundings, it doesn’t matter who wins… it’s the taking part that counts!
Join our Family Olympics activity in Athens and transform yourselves for a few hours into Olympic athletes taking part in the glorious Olympic games!
Families should know
- Duration: 2.5 hours
- This is a semi-private activity (small groups). It is also offered on a private basis (upon request)
- An early morning tour to avoid the heat of the day
- You don’t need to be fit to take part!
- A fun morning where all the family can get involved
- Does not include entrance fees
Kids will love
- Learning about the Ancient Olympic Games
- The stretching exercises and throwing discuss and javelin using traditional techniques
- Racing around an Olympic track!
- Standing on the winners podium at the end
Parents will love
- A fun, immersive experience
- Visiting an Olympic stadium, and if they wish, also the museum to see memorabilia from all the Modern Olympic Games
- The unforgettable bonding experience
Best season to visit
Share on Social Media