Riding Academy of Crete
The horse riding club of Heraklion - just a few km away from the city - is an ideal daytrip for the whole family. Your kids will definitely enjoy the horse riding lessons, while you can relax and enjoy the beautiful natural surroundings.
Families should know
- The riding club is very large and therefore rarely gets crowded. However, before visiting you should check that there is no special cultural event taking place: at these times it gets very popular among locals
- The horses are well trained, but if you have younger children you will need to keep an eye on them if they wish to stroke or feed the animals
- Avoid visiting the place around noon. The intense heat and lack of shade might make your visit unpleasant
- The establishment is spread out over a vast area, so you may need to keep a careful eye on your children
- Rent high quality baby & toddler travel gear such as car seats, strollers, baby carriers, trikes, booster seats through our partner My Baby in Greece for stress-free & fun family activities in Greece
- Separate children’s toilets
- Shop selling horse riding equipment and souvenirs
- 20 – 45 minute horse riding lesson for beginners as well as advanced riders every day of the week
- Horse riding day trips to the mountain or the beach from 1 – 5 hours
- The staff speak English
From 2014 onwards, various plays will take place at the brand new stone theatre. The plays focus on Minoan religious rituals and ceremonies and it feels like the actors have literally stepped out of the wall paintings. The gorgeous costumes, the imposing music and the ceremonies enacted make up an unforgettable experience for both children and grown ups.